Juan C.Cilleruelo

Windows Arm is still not ready. It is still in the cook.

47 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

Really not enticing me to click on this link by posting in a huge font with no summary or commentary. 

It was because of copy&paste in these forums. It's not intentional. 

1 hour ago, Der schöne Günther said:

I struggle to understand what message this article is really trying to bring across.

I think it's speaking about the gap that is currently becoming between Apple and Windows technologies.   

Since Apple is embracing ARM architecture, Microsoft is still waiting to no one know what, while in the field of hardware, the technology was ready a time ago. 

Even Chrome OS was adopted ARM quickly. It was very easy in this case, of course. 

But I still don't get it - What exactly is Microsoft allegedly still waiting for? Windows on ARM has been a thing for several years now, and all major Microsoft software (I might be wrong) has been available natively for ARM for quite some time now.

Granted, Apples Rosetta emulation is superior to how Windows emulates x64 code on ARM, but this is what we have now. 

What else would one now expect from Microsoft? From my point of view, their job is more or less done.

Edited by Der schöne Günther
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Juan C.Cilleruelo said:

It was because of copy&paste in these forums. It's not intentional. 

Ctrl+Shift+V = paste as plain text.

1 hour ago, Juan C.Cilleruelo said:

Since Apple is embracing ARM architecture, Microsoft is still waiting to no one know what, while in the field of hardware, the technology was ready a time ago. 

Apple is giving you no choice. With Windows people can choose and there are not so many eager to embrace this change.

Edited by Cristian Peța

18 minutes ago, Cristian Peța said:

Apple is giving you no choice. With Windows people can choose and there are not so many eager to embrace this change.

Sure?  Intel apps for Mac OS work well in Arm Macs, thanks to Rosetta 2. 
Probably, the problem is that Microsoft does not have this technology. 

Arm technology allows, with the same batteries, more than 20 hours between charges, for example. 

Arm technology allows a much more power computation, without consuming more energy. 

Really do you think that the future is Intel architecture? 

Or do you think that Intel is ready to create processors without these limitations? 

• Like 1

Not sure ARM will avoid the fate of the Motorola 68000 and PowerPC when going against x86 head on. The size of the full x86 ecosystem means there is much more money for processor development so that even when a competitor gets in a few wins it often falls behind over time. ARM has racked up some solid wins due to circumstances that are changing - x86 is no longer stalled by AMD (Bulldozer) or Intel (14nm) with both now making solid progress. 

Apple added support for the x86 memory access model to the M1/M2/M3 processors which makes running multi-core x86 emulation much easier and higher performing. This means during Apple's transition to ARM the latest x86 based Mac software runs well on the new M1/M2/M3 hardware. Since no other ARM systems currently have anything equivalent it means the latest Windows x86 software will run comparatively poorly on an ARM based system. That makes any transition or even just fielding Windows ARM systems harder as some programs will fare poorly. Apple has really aced the transition to ARM.

I think x86 will remain strong due to the large legacy and current software libraries. Same for Windows itself. I do not think Windows for ARM will succeed - it can't run modern x86 software well making any transition off x86 very rough.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Juan C.Cilleruelo said:

Arm technology allows, with the same batteries, more than 20 hours between charges, for example. 

Arm technology allows a much more power computation, without consuming more energy. 

Really do you think that the future is Intel architecture? 

Or do you think that Intel is ready to create processors without these limitations? 

Personally I wouldn't buy Windows ARM because incompatibilities. 20 hours without charge is nice but is not a must have for me.

• Like 1

I have not been keeping up with the news. Are there really lots of incompatibilities on Windows on ARM left?

I thought some DirectX and OpenGL stuff (games, mostly) will not work, but apart from that 99,9% of all "regular" software should?

4 hours ago, Der schöne Günther said:

I have not been keeping up with the news. Are there really lots of incompatibilities on Windows on ARM left?

I thought some DirectX and OpenGL stuff (games, mostly) will not work, but apart from that 99,9% of all "regular" software should?

Microsoft is an enterprise, not an NGO. Because of this, you cant think about this: Why Windows for Arm is not still a commercial product? 

99.9%??? jajaja. Try to do something serious with it and you are going to see the problems.  

1 hour ago, Lars Fosdal said:

11.3 works well on WfW for ARM under Parallells on my MBP M1 Pro.

The problem, at least for me, is not about running Delphi on Windows ARM. Instead, is about when is Embarcadero going to include Windows for Arm native compilation for Windows.

4 hours ago, Brian Evans said:

Not sure ARM will avoid the fate of the Motorola 68000 and PowerPC when going against x86 head on. The size of the full x86 ecosystem means there is much more money for processor development so that even when a competitor gets in a few wins it often falls behind over time. ARM has racked up some solid wins due to circumstances that are changing - x86 is no longer stalled by AMD (Bulldozer) or Intel (14nm) with both now making solid progress. 

Apple added support for the x86 memory access model to the M1/M2/M3 processors which makes running multi-core x86 emulation much easier and higher performing. This means during Apple's transition to ARM the latest x86 based Mac software runs well on the new M1/M2/M3 hardware. Since no other ARM systems currently have anything equivalent it means the latest Windows x86 software will run comparatively poorly on an ARM based system. That makes any transition or even just fielding Windows ARM systems harder as some programs will fare poorly. Apple has really aced the transition to ARM.

I think x86 will remain strong due to the large legacy and current software libraries. Same for Windows itself. I do not think Windows for ARM will succeed - it can't run modern x86 software well making any transition off x86 very rough.  

"640 Kb of RAM is sufficient for many years of PC evolution. Don't worry".

I think that in the last quarter of 2024, there will be a lot of PCs with ARM.  Probably running poorly programs compiled natively for the Win64 platform. 
I think that the concern of Embarcader must be to develop a WinArm compiler for Windows as soon as possible.