PeterPanettone

Delphi 12: The Install Packages window still has no Filter box

This is also a shortcoming that has been annoying for many years: The Install Packages window still has no Filter box in Delphi 12:

image.thumb.png.0cf9a1aed08ef2e6da37b1da1e0324e0.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Have you filed a feature request in QualityPortal?

First, I need to confirm that others have this issue too.

Only then, when I'm sure a misconfiguration or IDE settings do not cause the problem, I will file a quality Report.

So, Is this happening to you, too?

How could a Filter box improve your handling of the Packages in the Install Packages window?

Or, to put it negatively: How does the lack of a Filter box complicate your handling of the Packages in the Install Packages window (if there are many Packages in the list)?

Everyone professionally dealing with UIs would agree that large lists without the possibility of sorting, searching, or filtering would be considered a nogo.

In the Computer Stone Age (CSA), everything was small: screens, icons, text, lists, etc. (The only things that were big were the computer cases and the stacks of punched cards).
But hey, we live in the 21st century!

Edited by PeterPanettone

27 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

WOW!!! That was more than SEVEN YEARS ago! (On a computer scale, that's more than seven centuries)

And there are even smart comments about this topic too:

image.thumb.png.4c6b3d444dd68a35e9b3a85f8e6fdc05.png

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-15403

Edited by PeterPanettone

10 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

How could a Filter box improve your handling of the Packages in the Install Packages window?

Trying to find right package form the list, some of witch have quite similar names, is total pain in the but. When lkot of components installed there are tons of packages to go through. At worst case, you don't know thew exact name of the package, then you have to actually read all, and not just add some keywords like "tms aur" to get to tms aurelius (if it has package, don't know, just an example)

Voted for this one, that is still open: https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-14203

Edited by Tommi Prami
  • Like 2

I don't use packages except those that exist by default compile time, so I haven't really seen it as a massive problem, but yes - any list that needs a scrollbar, probably also needs a filter.

• Like 1

Some third-party libraries install a lot of packages - for example, the full Developer Express VCL Components 23.2.1 installs eighty-eight packages in Delphi 12. Something to search or filter the list would be useful when checking if another library and any of its optional packages are installed or not. Would be most used when migrating projects to newer versions of Delphi. 

• Like 1