vshvetsov

Advise the component for editing tables

Please advise which component is better to use for viewing and editing tables. The following features are needed:
1) The cells must contain text, numeric or logical (yes/no) data.
2) The ability to add icons to the text of the cell.
2) In-place editing in cells. For logical values - checkbox, for text and numbers - the ability to select a value from a pop-up list.
3) Selection of cell ranges with shift and Ctrl, normal arrow navigation.
4) Text color and cell fill settings.
In general, I need a fairly ordinary spreadsheet editor in the style of MS Excel. The standard TListView (with vsReport style) and TStringGrid components do not provide the necessary functionality. I also don't want to mess with TDB*** components, I don't have a database, just an array of values in memory that I manage myself. Can you recommend any good third-party component?
Using third-party components is a dangerous thing, what if it breaks down with the next update of Rad Studio? I would like you to recommend a proven component from a reliable, "long-lived" source. Easy to learn and easy to use.

Thank you in advance.

Or NextGrid, but I'm not sure if it supports the Ctrl ans Shift selection requirement.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I understand that these are paid packages containing many components, and the packages are quite expensive. I only need one component for the table. I was thinking about a free version of the open source component. But at the same time, it is verified, from a supported collection. Does anyone know about such a thing?

1 hour ago, vshvetsov said:

Thanks a lot for the advice. I understand that these are paid packages containing many components, and the packages are quite expensive. I only need one component for the table. I was thinking about a free version of the open source component. But at the same time, it is verified, from a supported collection. Does anyone know about such a thing?

Hi!
Maybe the JEDI library.

Posted (edited)

The Delphi ecosystem contracted over the years and a lot of third-party component developers had to increase prices or fold / exit the market. One that is still around is Developer Express (as somebody already mentioned) whose VCL components have good support and include a VCL Spreadsheet control: VCL Spreadsheet Inspired by Excel - Delphi, C++Builder (devexpress.com).  The also have a VCL Layout & UI Design Control which you could add controls to for auto-layout: VCL Form Layout Control for Delphi and C++Builder Developers (devexpress.com).   

They have both 30-day trials and a demo program that does an excellent job of showing what that the various controls do and how they behave. 

Main page: VCL UI Components for Delphi & C++Builder | DevExpress scroll down for smaller packages with a subset of the components. 

Edited by Brian Evans

@Shrinavat Looks great! Years ago I used X-Data and one thing I miss is the master Detail in grid. Looks like Steema has this, and at an affordable price.

While the Rosinsky DBGrid is very capable the show stopper for me are the Dialogs that he has produced. Your end users can customize the grid at runtime as much as you can at design time. Extremely impressive.

I don't know if it fulfils all your requirements, but you might want to check out Turbopower Orpheus which has a grid control. It might be a bit dated now, but it's free, available via GetIt and gets updated to run on latest releases.

Des