Attila Kovacs

What is otares?

Any readings on that? I can't find anything on it, just the annoying otares kept, res discarded messages at compile time.

DocWiki for XE2 says this:

File with unknown resources generated during upgrade of pre XE2 project. (Unknown resources are resources that are not included in the build configuration, like version info, icon, manifest or styles.)

(If it doesn't tell me something about a bad gateway)

I read that but I still don't get it how the dpk becomes:

{$R *.res}

{$R *.otares}

and then the warning that the latter will be kept and the res will be dropped.

This all makes no sense to me.

Edited by Attila Kovacs

During the upgrade process the unknown resources are moved to the .otares file and the dpk gets a reference for that. The recommended process in such a case is to use decent resources for the unknown ones and get rid of the .otares and the corresponding entry in the dpk.

In the majority of cases the otares only contains a resource named PLATFORMTARGETS, which references targets no longer supported by the newer Delphi version. A typical otares file in that case has 96 bytes and can just be removed completely. Unfortunately some library vendors and open source libraries didn't grasp this and deliver these otares files.

The warning you are referring to may be caused by something else. Perhaps one or more of those unknown resources were later added as regular resources to the project, which leads to the duplicate warning. The linker just detects resources with the same name, which cannot be resolved into one module.

Edited by Uwe Raabe
  • Thanks 4

Alright, I'll believe you, for now. But I can't seem to find the string "otares" (other than OTARes...) in any of the emba binaries or the registry (except in the file history), nor can I get Delphi to generate one.

I'll consider it to be Nessie's droppings until someone can show me how to make Delphi spit out otareses.

49 minutes ago, Attila Kovacs said:

I'll consider it to be Nessie's droppings until someone can show me how to make Delphi spit out otareses.

Why? What are you planning on doing with otares files if you could get them generated? Delphi doesn't use otares files anymore, it's a legacy thing only. 

11 minutes ago, Remy Lebeau said:

Why? What are you planning on doing with otares files if you could get them generated?

Why are you asking? 

12 minutes ago, Remy Lebeau said:

Delphi doesn't use otares files anymore, it's a legacy thing only. 

Source?

16 hours ago, Attila Kovacs said:

Try opening a pre Delphi XE2 package project with XE2 or possibly a later Delphi version.

1 hour ago, dummzeuch said:

Try opening a pre Delphi XE2 package project with XE2 or possibly a later Delphi version.

Yes I did that already.