Sign in to follow this  
Gord P

C++Builder 12 - Windows only?

I read this poking around on the Discord site from Ian Barker:

Well, technically, at the moment, C++ Builder 12 only does Windows. Earlier versions of C++ Builder can do more.

Right now the only way to target Windows, iOS, Android, Mac, and Linux is with Delphi or RAD Studio using Delphi.

Embarcadero are working on resolving those issues with C++ but it's a long slog with some technical hurdles to climb to get things back to where we'd all like them.

That's interesting.  Doesn't affect me at the moment because I currently only target Windows, plus I don't use the latest version until at least one update or a couple patches are out.  But, it does seem like a regression in the feature set of C++Builder nonetheless.

They are retooling the C++ compiler chain. I get the impression that C++ is becoming more important - not less - even if it might seem like a 2 steps forward, one step back (for the moment). My gut feeling is the future has never been brighter for C++Builder.

• Thanks 1

The future is bright as its never been so poor i.e. you can only go so low, well in this cycle.

You can target Windows both 32 bit and 64 bit in C++ but based on the speed of light performance for integrating tomo ide features and updating tool chains we are MANY light years away from improvements.

As usual, I can never make these webinars because of commitments.  Look forward to the replay though.