Elliot Hillary

DelphiLint v1.0.0 released!

For your assets on the Releases page please, please don't use the Codenames only. I just sat in front of my Delphi with an open project and could not quickly find out if the ubiquitous number 12 represents the elusive city of Alexandria or Athens, unsure of which of your Assets to download. If you must waste space by using Codenames, then please at least waste two spaces more by adding the version you mean to address....or to satisfy my Monkness scrap the Codenames altogether.

• Like 1

OK, so after a test run and wondering what took so long for a barely more than "Hello World" project... the product seems to have an issue with UNC paths. Filed it as #17

On 3/20/2024 at 12:11 AM, Elliot Hillary said:

installing the JRE is pretty quick and easy.

However, it might not be permitted to do so in corporate environments.

• Like 3

My workmachine is not quite JRE free, due to IBM ACE.

But in general, I don't install Java apps if I can avoid it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2024 at 5:07 AM, Elliot Hillary said:

If there's a lot of interest in customising the rules in standalone mode, that's certainly something that could make its way into a future release.

I definitely would appreciate customizing rules in standalone mode. I attempted installing SonarQube and going the "connected mode" route. However, I had difficulty getting the SonarQube service started and I am not a Java guy.

Some of the rules are more annoying than helpful. I have no idea what "naming conventions" DelphiLint is expecting. One convention seems to be that unit names must be PascalCase. Particularly for legacy projects, there is no benefit. Yes, a consistent naming convention is very helpful. Does anyone care that all of our form units follow formMain.pas rather than FormMain.pas?

I almost want to create an issue for the rule "split this 128 characters long line (which is greater than 120 authorized)". Authorized by who, or what? Certainly not by me, my employer, or anything that I've configured in Delphi.

Others are personal preferences. "Delphi style guides" may advise against using () when calling a routine without arguments. But I prefer to have them. They do no harm and I think they improve code read-ability.

Those are just a couple examples where the ability to customize the rules, even in standalone mode, would be appreciated.

Edited by JonRobertson
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JonRobertson said:

I definitely would appreciate customizing rules in standalone mode. I attempted installing SonarQube and going the "connected mode" route. However, I had difficulty getting the SonarQube service started and I am not a Java guy.

Some of the rules are more annoying than helpful. I have no idea what "naming conventions" DelphiLint is expecting. One convention seems to be that unit names must be PascalCase. Particularly for legacy projects, there is no benefit. Yes, a consistent naming convention is very helpful. Does anyone care that all of our form units follow formMain.pas rather than FormMain.pas? 

I almost want to create an issue for the rule "split this 128 characters long line (which is greater than 120 authorized)". Authorized by who, or what? Certainly not by me, my employer, or anything that I've configured in Delphi. 

Others are personal preferences. "Delphi style guides" may advise against using () when calling a routine without arguments. But I prefer to have them. They do no harm and I think they improve code read-ability.

Those are just a couple examples where the ability to customize the rules, even in standalone mode, would be appreciated.

Sorry to hear you had issues starting up SonarQube - is it possible that the root cause is the same as #8? This part of the SonarQube documentation could be helpful.

By default, DelphiLint and SonarDelphi follow Delphi's Object Pascal Style Guide, so this is where the naming convention rules get their standard opinions from.
Standalone rule customization is a highly requested feature - we're tracking the proposal as #16 and are looking to add it in a future release.

7 minutes ago, Elliot Hillary said:

Sorry to hear you had issues starting up SonarQube - is it possible that the root cause is the same as #8? This part of the SonarQube documentation could be helpful.

It could be. I followed the instructions and was in a console window when starting the service. I don't remember anything written to the console window that would have indicated the problem was related to that issue.

Now that DelphiLint standalone is working, next week I may installing SonarQube again and try to get a "connected" configuration working. I still need to install our certificate in the JVM and verify that DelphiLint is able to download SonarDelphi.

13 minutes ago, Elliot Hillary said:

By default, DelphiLint and SonarDelphi follow Delphi's Object Pascal Style Guide, so this is where the naming convention rules get their standard opinions from.

My opinion is that naming convention is not a risk factor, which is the benefit of static analysis. Perhaps there is a risk that I am not aware of. I could see the benefit of those rules being available, just turned off by default. Another example is the default name of a "break" in a menu (main menu or popup menu). The default is "N1" for the first break, "N2" for the second, etc. Sonar suggests that I give those menu items a more meaningful name. As an experienced Delphi developer, naming it "miBreak1" is no more meaningful than "N1", because I know what they are and I don't need to reference them in code.

For anyone that has DelphiLint installed, I just filed ticket Issue 20 because BDS.exe was racing one logical CPU when the IDE was otherwise idle and no projects were loaded. Once I removed the Delphi Lint package, BDS.exe CPU usage dropped to 0%.

Delphi 11.3 (28.0.48361.3236)

DelphiLintClient-1.0.1-Alexandria.bpl

delphilint-server-1.0.1.jar

plugins\DEFAULT-sonar-delphi-1.3.0.jar

On 3/30/2024 at 6:46 AM, JonRobertson said:

For anyone that has DelphiLint installed, I just filed ticket Issue 20 because BDS.exe was racing one logical CPU when the IDE was otherwise idle and no projects were loaded. Once I removed the Delphi Lint package, BDS.exe CPU usage dropped to 0%.

Thanks for submitting an issue, it was only a small fix - an unoptimized background thread was wasting CPU cycles waiting for the server to start.

This issue is resolved in DelphiLint 1.0.2, along with a couple of other minor improvements.

I think I've discovered a problem parsing arguments.
When I try to parse the following reduzed class:

uses
  REST.Json.Types, Classes;

type
  TTest = class(TInterfacedPersistent)
  private
    [REST.Json.Types.JSONMarshalledAttribute(False)]
    FTest: Integer;
  public
    property Test: Integer read FTest write FTest;
  end;

I get the following error:

[Window Title]
Warning

[Main Instruction]
DelphiLint encountered a problem during analysis.

[Content]
An error was raised (java.lang.ClassCastException: class au.com.integradev.delphi.symbol.occurrence.NameOccurrenceImpl cannot be cast to class au.com.integradev.delphi.symbol.occurrence.AttributeNameOccurrenceImpl (au.com.integradev.delphi.symbol.occurrence.NameOccurrenceImpl and au.com.integradev.delphi.symbol.occurrence.AttributeNameOccurrenceImpl are in unnamed module of loader org.sonar.classloader.ClassRealm @57abad67)
).

[OK]

Please raise issues on the DelphiLint repository if you encounter a problem -or, if it's related to analysis problems or false positive issues, the repository for SonarDelphi (the analyzer DelphiLint uses).
Those are the centralized places we're tracking issues, and the only places we're guaranteed to be monitoring!

We've raised sonar-delphi#213 for this parsing error.

17 hours ago, Catdog said:

I think I've discovered a problem parsing arguments.
When I try to parse the following reduzed class:

uses
  REST.Json.Types, Classes;

type
  TTest = class(TInterfacedPersistent)
  private
    [REST.Json.Types.JSONMarshalledAttribute(False)]
    FTest: Integer;
  public
    property Test: Integer read FTest write FTest;
  end;

I get the following error:

[Window Title]
Warning

[Main Instruction]
DelphiLint encountered a problem during analysis.

[Content]
An error was raised (java.lang.ClassCastException: class au.com.integradev.delphi.symbol.occurrence.NameOccurrenceImpl cannot be cast to class au.com.integradev.delphi.symbol.occurrence.AttributeNameOccurrenceImpl (au.com.integradev.delphi.symbol.occurrence.NameOccurrenceImpl and au.com.integradev.delphi.symbol.occurrence.AttributeNameOccurrenceImpl are in unnamed module of loader org.sonar.classloader.ClassRealm @57abad67)
).

[OK]

Thanks, we'll have that fixed in the SonarDelphi analyzer soon.

In the meantime, a stopgap measure is to change your qualified name to an unqualified JSONMarshalledAttribute, which will fix the error in your scan.

Posted (edited)
  1. Download the packaged zip for your Delphi version from the latest release, or build from source.
  2. Unzip the folder and run the included install.bat script.
  3. Done!

Well, no. Then I run Delphi 11.3, and get a dialog wanting me to set up external resources. I did start by installing the JRE. The dialog says that, by default, JAVA_HOME is used. But Select override is focused, and wants me to point where? I do not find a JAVA_HOME environment variable, and one might hope that the startup code would solve that for me. I am guessing this wants the location of javaw.exe? Or java.exe? I find no enlightenment on this in the readme on github, either.
I am not a Java user, and could wish for a more useful explanation in the dialog.
Since my guess proved not to solve the problem, I emphasize the wish for better guidance.

Edited by Bill Meyer
  • Like 1

Please raise an issue on the DelphiLint repository if you encounter a problem. As I've said, we're not actively monitoring this page - I only noticed this post by coincidence - so I can't guarantee your issue will be fixed if it's only discussed here.

The JAVA_HOME environment variable should be set along with your JRE installation. If it's not, then (as you say) DelphiLint prompts you for the location of a Java executable, which is indeed java.exe. Setting this to the java.exe in your JRE folder and clicking "Apply this configuration" should work correctly - if this does not work, please raise an issue with a description of the problems this is causing.

I'm not sure exactly how a change to startup code could improve on this experience, or how the guidance can be improved. Please feel free to raise an issue or pull request suggesting improvements to these!

Posted (edited)

Issue #26 reported.

Issue #27 for documentation.

Edited by Bill Meyer