Joe Sansalone

Interbase dev license

Hi,

I know that Interbase works on the same machine with my Delphi IDE, for development purposes.

Do I need a separate dev license to try Interbase on a machine without the Delphi IDE?

If so, do I already have it because I purchased Delphi OR do I need to request it?

Joe

InterBase Developer Edition is free and included with Delphi as an optional feature you can choose in the installer. You can also request a license. The main limitations are:

• Limited to a maximum of 20 users (and 80 logical connections to the server)
  • Limited to work only for 48 hours, after that time new connections are disallowed and you'll have to restart the server

Download the Free InterBase Developer Edition - Embarcadero

Couldn't tell you. The wording does suggest they do. 

The InterBase licensing was too much for me, both cost wise and having to manage licenses, that back in the day I looked for a royalty free alternative. Went with FlashFiler from TurboPower and when they exited the market transitioned to using NexusDB. Combined with a tool to help write queries (Database Workbench by Upscene) it has served my needs for almost two decades.

10 hours ago, Joe Sansalone said:

Does it mean that existing connections continue to work after 48 hours?

Hi.

The developer edition is not supposed to be used in production. It's for development and testing.

Depending on the used features, try Firebird in production if an InterBase Server license is too expensive for your needs. Your code will remain the same and you can use IB in the future if needed.

42 minutes ago, Patrick PREMARTIN said:

Your code will remain the same

Only if you don't make use of Change Views. AFAIK, it also lacks Column-level Encryption.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2024 at 1:10 PM, Joe Sansalone said:

Does it mean that existing connections continue to work after 48 hours?

No, the server service has to be stopped (disconnecting all connections) and restarted.

1 hour ago, corneliusdavid said:

the server service has to be stopped (disconnecting all connections) and restarted.

I have a task scheduled exactly for that.

15 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

I have a task scheduled exactly for that

Same here. Pretty easy limitation to get around.

Like a regular batch file?

Does your client application automatically re-connect?

Or do you also restart your client app too?

It's a batch file run by the Task Scheduler as administrator calling the sc command. 

For me, it's an in-house copy of RAD Server, so just stateless web server API calls--no continuously connected client.

And to be clear, for a customer installation, I would purchase a license.

Anything in real production I purchase a license.

But I'd like to play around with new Change Views - got me thinking I should setup something with latest IB version.

• Like 1