tobenschain

rare unrepeatable memory errors

29 minutes ago, tobenschain said:

Can memory on a PC become error prone over rime?

Yes, and can lead to all manner of inexplicable behavior if it's not known.

If you want to know if you have bad memory, use this:

https://www.memtest86.com/

The included memory diagnostics in Windows is completely inadequate, I have had two RAM modules that tested fine with that but showed memory errors with memtest86.

So, use memtest86 to rule out bad memory and then you can return to figuring out what is wrong with your code. :-)

Edited by Brandon Staggs

22 minutes ago, tobenschain said:

Can memory on a PC become error prone over rime? Are there AV's that are not caused by the program?

Like all electronic devices, memory, processor, motherboard, SSD and everything else can fail, generating the most varied errors.

Generally, the failures essentially depend on either electrical failures caused by overvoltage or similar situations or failures related to overheating (for example in the case of overclocking and inadequate ventilation). Obviously we are talking about normal Home PCs, because if we are talking about systems (for example industrial or commercial) then the case history is much more extensive.

If you have a latest generation Intel processor (13th or 14th) and above all if you have tried to overclock it, it is possible that the processor is failing (see Intel's note ... now they have solved the problem but this anomaly has lasted until now ... the link is no longer active).

AV can also be generated by failures of the SSD that reports incorrect data to the application.

However, if you go to the Windows event log you can take a look ... normally the anomalies are reported there ...

image.thumb.png.1197202efad6e28f217ba5f7bf33086a.png

17 minutes ago, tobenschain said:

I wasn't speaking of hardware failure. Over time can memory become corrupt?

The memory of your program is private and not others applications can normally access it (some Microsoft tools will be able to do this, like some antivirus). So if the memory were corrupt over the time normally it is the application itself that is the cause of it.

Take care that your application use all kind of Microsoft (like in all other OS) services, DLL and driver. May be that those are some bugs (need to maintain update the environment like OS, drivers ...).

P.S: but if you go to Windows event log like I told you can see something.

Edited by DelphiUdIT

19 minutes ago, tobenschain said:

I understand .Net reduces this problem.

I have no notice about that. ".Net" have the same problems like all other development tool, they update their tools also for resolve bugs. But many times is the human works that induce the problems, not the language or the development tool.

15 hours ago, tobenschain said:

Can memory on a PC become error prone over rime? Are there AV's that are not caused by the program?

Yes it can! That's why high-end PC, workstation and server have "ECC Memory" (Error correction code memory, see this Wikipedia article). When an error occurs, it is corrected and you are notified. You can continue to work while ordering a new memory item. Think about it when you'll buy your next computer.