mawg

How to use Open Street Maps with Delphi - cross platform?

I have been away from Delphi for a few years now. During that time, I have been coding browser apps in JavaScript using Leaflet to show Open Street Maps.

I have a new cross platform app to develop, using either Google's Flutter or Delphi, and would prefer Delphi.

How to go about it? Is there a VCL component (or do I need FMX? I didn't do any cross-platform until now)? Or should I just use a TWebBrowser component? Would that be truly cross platform on Windows, Linux, Mac, Android & iOS? I see no reason why not, but would prefer to double check before starting.

15 hours ago, limelect said:

@mawg I did try a wile ago open street map it was too slaw.

I did not like the result.

I think the only good way is google map.

There are a few VCL components .

just Google.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gmlibrary/

You may need a license to use Google Maps, while Open Street Map is free, you can even host your own map server.

Also, I would rather trust in OSM than Google that they keep their service available and the APIs mostly unchanged.

(Just remember why this forum exists. G+ anybody?)

Edited by dummzeuch
  • Like 4

On 10/30/2019 at 12:28 PM, Rollo62 said:

CrossPlatform = FMX

TMS OSMaps

A great suggestion. I used to subscribe to the full VCL pack, so know their stuff is good and support is excellent. Well worth Eur 95, I imagine

On 10/31/2019 at 9:07 AM, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

I made open-source Delphi VCL / Lazarus LCL component here. Currently not much features but usable

It's really handy component just what I need, but it would be really  great if you could add function for drawing a line from one to another coordinate. I tried to do this, spent a couple of hours but I'm new in Delphi and it is just to complicated for me :).