Posted (edited)

HxD is a Freeware hex, disk and memory editor, that is fast and can handle files of arbitrary size (up to 8 EiB).

414558680_MiniShotHxD1.png.aabade0086bbfb712b4ccbe31435c19e.png

Some of the feature highlights are:

• Disk editor (automatically unmounts drives as necessary when saving changes)
  • Memory editor (full support for 64 and 32-bit)
    • Data folding, for easier overview and hiding inaccessible regions
  • Data inspector
  • Search and replace with support for various data types
  • Importing and exporting of Intel Hex, Motorola S-Records
  • Exporting to Pascal, C, Java, C#, VB.NET, PureBasic, but also HTML, RTF, and TeX
  • Checksum and hash generation and validation
  • File compare
  • Tools to split, join and shredder files

Currently, available in version 2.4 and 17 languages: HxD download.

P.S.: If you like it, please star the code on GitHub or give it a (good 😉) rating on download sites.

Edited by mael
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Nice!

I used HxD before and I really liked it. I just always have VSCode open and it's easier with it's addon. It doesn't do as much as your program does, though.

Good job, you just created an awesome tool in an awesome language!

Looks very promising! Will give this tool a try, probably it could replace WinHex for some non-specific use cases.

In addition I'd like to have a text viewer (ideally editor) that supports very large files and UTF8. Currently I don't know an app with such abilities

Thank you everyone for the positive feedback 🙂

On 3/10/2020 at 8:58 AM, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

In addition I'd like to have a text viewer (ideally editor) that supports very large files and UTF8.

There is a feature request / progress report regarding UTF-8.

https://forum.mh-nexus.de/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1004

If you have any comments regarding the design or implementation, please comment there. This is mostly about technical issues of multi-byte encodings and their representation.

As a file viewer (not editor) for very large files and with UTF8 support there is nothing to beat V from fileviewer.com.  I ignore all the file-manager stuff and use it, daily, as a file viewer.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, mael said:

There is a feature request / progress report regarding UTF-8. 

I'm unsure... probably that's not the proper task for Hex viewer

5 minutes ago, timfrost said:

V from fileviewer.com

Pretty nice one! Alas it's shareware

Well, yes, you do have to pay for excellence.  But $20 for 6 years use, and updates, is a steal; and when I first started using V in 1998 the licence was perpetual.  Prompt support and response to feature requests, too.  It's a classic which nobody should be without!

Posted (edited)

Well, I am sure you will understand that it's not really nice to advertise another product in a thread specifically presenting HxD.

I have invested many years into it (since 2002), and it has been Freeware all the time. A little respect for that effort would be appreciated.

Edited by mael
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

-

Edited by mael

@mael  OK, but my original posting made clear it was not a competitor.  Apologies for getting diverted by the reply to it.

@maelI would really find a Delphi library that wraps up the HexEditor features valuable. Not freeware but paid for.

Even if the library was binary only.