David Schwartz

GetIt pkg mgr problems

D10.2.3 ... GetIt package manager problems ... when I try to open GetIt in the IDE, I get an error: "invalid type cast". It's in GetIt250.bpl. Is there any way to access the files and download them directly? I'm looking for Raize Components. (Konopka)

On 11/18/2018 at 5:37 PM, FredS said:

That seems to only suggest how to install things that have already been downloaded. GetIt launches, but there's nothing displayed. No way to DL anything.

Isn't there some way to actually grab the installation files and install them manually?

14 hours ago, David Schwartz said:

Isn't there some way to actually grab the installation files and install them manually?

No idea, I've moved back to Berlin when it became clear using Tokyo was a waste of time.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2018 at 10:54 AM, FredS said:

No idea, I've moved back to Berlin when it became clear using Tokyo was a waste of time.

Care to elaborate on that? I have not seen any such disparaging comments before now. 

23 hours ago, Bill Meyer said:

Care to elaborate on that? I have not seen any such disparaging comments before now. 

It doesn't work now. It generates a run-time error. Did you read my original post?

I'm getting "invalid type cast". It's in GetIt250.bpl, and apparently others are as well. And there does not seem to be any workaround other than going back to an earlier version.

1 hour ago, David Schwartz said:

It doesn't work now. It generates a run-time error. Did you read my original post?

I'm getting "invalid type cast". It's in GetIt250.bpl, and apparently others are as well. And there does not seem to be any workaround other than going back to an earlier version.

Yes, I read your original post. So as I understand it, then, the problem with GetIt makes Tokyo unusable?

I did have a similar problem with Tokyo in a VM a couple of months ago. Did the uninstall/reinstall dance, and then it worked. I have my own concerns about Tokyo, but GetIt is not chief among them. That is why I asked.

Advocating cutting off one's nose to spite their face seems to be a popular past-time among some Delphi users. If it's not one thing it's another. 

I've been using 10.2.x for over a year now, and I'm quite happy with it. But it's annoying to see something broken in 10.2.3 that was working fine in earlier versions. 

GetIt has never occurred to me as well thought out or nicely implemented. It's like a prototype that someone showed to upper management who said, "Great! Ship it!"

It has a bug in 10.2.3 that renders it useless. There's no workaround, and it's super-low priority, so who knows when it will ever get fixed (in 10.2.3, anyway).

All of these files are free, so this should be regarded as "a NICER way of installing" rather than"the ONLY  way".

Which means I have to load up a VM from last year with an older version of Delphi on it just to get something off of GetIt for use in 10.2.3.

GetIt in 10.3 is redesigned. Although right now it is not working anyway.

1015723875_GetIt10.3.jpg.97c3890ba5cc91d31eea11111b2ae92c.jpg

I think we should wait a day or two until the flow of visitors subsides.

1 hour ago, David Schwartz said:

All of these files are free

Right, so the easiest thing for me was to find their Github sources and use those instead of GetIt will do the same because time is money.

But you can't do that for CodeSite and that didn't show up in Rio GetIt at all yesterday..

31 minutes ago, Kryvich said:

I think we should wait a day or two until the flow of visitors subsides. 

Yeah, because EMBT doesn't have access to redundant servers? Or perhaps not ones that have an up to date certificate..

OK right now GetIt in 10.3 works again:

1229914390_GetIt10.3works.jpg.91250e63dc95bb86e1b1deea6d137d60.jpg

Although I can not find CodeSite. It may not have been updated for 10.3.

9 hours ago, FredS said:

Right, so the easiest thing for me was to find their Github sources and use those instead of GetIt will do the same because time is money.

But you can't do that for CodeSite and that didn't show up in Rio GetIt at all yesterday..

"Free" doesn't equate to "open source". For example, I bet none of the Konopka / Raize stuff is going to be found on any github sites.

That doesn't mean it would unreasonable to have a DL page that requires you to long to your back-end (like "Registered User Downloads")

Update: CodeSite Express 5.3.3 appeared in GetIt in Delphi 10.3.

Update2: Oops:

1298085505_CodeSiteError.jpg.8d30b5fd64280e793406f83b7daf3992.jpg

Can not find CodeSiteExpressPkg260.bpl. Forgot to include in the installation?

Edited by Kryvich

7 hours ago, Kryvich said:

Can not find CodeSiteExpressPkg260.bpl. Forgot to include in the installation?

Removing the package via 'Component>Install Packages' then adding it back worked for me.

@FredS No, it din't work for me. Can you find CodeSiteExpressPkg260.bpl in "c:\Program Files (x86)\Raize\CS5\Bin" ?

Update: I found this file here: "c:\Program Files (x86)\Raize\CS5\Deploy\Win32\", copied it to "c:\Program Files (x86)\Raize\CS5\Bin" and now CodeSite works!

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-21763 

Edited by Kryvich