How to add / extend the system PATH only while the Delphi Windows application is running (only for the needs of this application)?

18 minutes ago, miab said:

How to add / extend the system PATH only while the Delphi Windows application is running (only for the needs of this application)?

I'm assuming with "Delphi Windows application" you mean the IDE:

Create a batch file that adds to the path, and then starts the IDE (and exits so the console window closes).

If you don't want a batch file (many people complain about the "ugly console window"): Write a program that creates a new environment variable block and pass that when executing the IDE.

Edited by dummzeuch

No, I do not mean Delphi IDE.
I would like the application to add to the current system PATH some directory that it saw would be through it during its execution.

For example, directory with additional dll-s.

Edited by miab

20 minutes ago, miab said:

No, I do not mean Delphi IDE.
I would like the application to add to the current system PATH some directory that it saw would be through it during its execution.

SetEnvironmentVariable() updates the environment of the calling process only, changes are not persisted when the process exits.

For example, directory with additional dll-s.

You don't need to update the PATH to handle that.  Use SetDllDirectory() or AddDllDirectory() instead.

Edited by Remy Lebeau
  • Like 2

Thanks, that should be enough for me.

Edited by miab