Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I just installed Delphi 10.4.1.  Trying now to install patches and third party components from GetIt.

 

In the IDE, under IDE Patches on the Welcome Page, there is a message "The Embarcadero GetIt server could not be reached."  And if I try to install the Bonus KSVC 6.2.3 component package from GetIt, I get "Cannot load data from the server:....."  

 

Does anyone know when it will be available?  Has Embarcadero released any information about this issue.  It is keeping me, and I am sure others, from getting on with our work.

 

Thanks,

Randall Carpenter

 

Share this post


Link to post

Did you install using an ISO image? If so have to enabled GetIt to go online?

Please find the following in the Delphi 10.4.1 release notes:

Quote

If you use the offline installer, RAD Studio will not be able to access the GetIt Package Manager until you manually switch to "online mode". To do this, we recommend using the GetItCmd.exe tool: GetItCmd.exe -c=useonline

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Whenever I am in VSCode, I am looking at the Delphi IDE and sighing.  Its age is starting to show.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Whenever I'm in IDLE, I'm yearning to get back to the Delphi IDE. And IDLE really isn't that old, it's way younger than Delphi. It can always get worse...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Whenever I am in VSCode, I am looking at the Delphi IDE and sighing.  Its age is starting to show.

Er...   "starting to show"??

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Whenever I am in VSCode, I am looking at the Delphi IDE and sighing.

So, you do a lot of GUI design, debugging and building in VSCode?

Share this post


Link to post

GUI Design? Not so much, except from SVG fiddling. 

 

Mostly PowerShell programming and debugging.

Many other languages support debugging in VSCode. 

 

Then there is searching in source code.

Make a workspace, add your source code folder(s), add the source directories for Delphi and third party code. 

Search in files, search in current file, highlight selected text. Awesome. 

 

My point was originally focused on the ease of upgrade of the IDE and it's plug-ins. 

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

the ease of upgrade of the IDE and it's plug-ins

Yeah, there's that. My point was more that the Delphi does much more. Not that it wouldn't be nice if they made it more or better "pluggable".

Share this post


Link to post

VSCode is good for editing code, no GUI.  Can not handle large files that well, and forget about compiling a sizable project (the ones you hear people here complaining about e.g. 1M+ lines).

 

Gets waaay too many updates.  Most of them are patching issues.  That is great, but if you have a commercial project you will be always postponing the updates.  The magical things that Resharper does with VS, or JetBrains Rider does on the IDE are absent on VS Code or half baked, mainly because its all plugins and it will depend on the community behind that plugin.

 

So as an editor.  It is my default, unless i need to open large files, there NotePad++ is still king.   Coding IDE, not so much.  Rider is one of the best, VS is not bad with Resharper.  Delphi's 10.4.1 is one of the best Delphi's but can't compete yet with the other ones. MMX, GExperts, CNWizard help but the integration is not as transparent as the other tools.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/25/2020 at 5:11 PM, Randall Carpenter said:

Thanks so much to Sherlock for the help you provide in helping me get GetIt to work.  I appreciate it.

 

Randall Carpenter

Your welcome. Good job reading past the chatter, by the way.👍

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/25/2020 at 5:22 PM, Esteban Pacheco said:

VSCode is good for editing code, no GUI.  Can not handle large files that well, and forget about compiling a sizable project (the ones you hear people here complaining about e.g. 1M+ lines).

 

Gets waaay too many updates.  Most of them are patching issues.  That is great, but if you have a commercial project you will be always postponing the updates.  The magical things that Resharper does with VS, or JetBrains Rider does on the IDE are absent on VS Code or half baked, mainly because its all plugins and it will depend on the community behind that plugin.

 

So as an editor.  It is my default, unless i need to open large files, there NotePad++ is still king.   Coding IDE, not so much.  Rider is one of the best, VS is not bad with Resharper.  Delphi's 10.4.1 is one of the best Delphi's but can't compete yet with the other ones. MMX, GExperts, CNWizard help but the integration is not as transparent as the other tools.

 

VSCode is ok for files sizes within what is normal for source code.  If you have source files that are megabytes of data, VSCode is not your biggest problem.
VSCode does not compile projects. It is an editor. Any compilation is done by an external compiler.

The VSCode + plugin updates are seamless and recovers your workspace in the exact same state as you had before the update - even including unsaved files. 
Why would you postpone an update to an editor?

 

Comparing VS with VSCode is apples and oranges.

 

Of course any VSCode plugin will only be as good as the developer or team behind it - just like plugins and components for any IDE.

 

Share this post


Link to post

If you are using vscode ONLY as an editor then done.  Nothing to discuss.  Check NotePad++, it does most of what VSCode does without its issues with large loads and its a battle tested editor.

 

If you are using VSCode only for your brand new "something", then it should do just fine. Delphi will do wonders there too.  For the rest where code is not perfect, files are not always small and you cant simply pick and chose what battles you will like to engage you may stumble. 

 

So if you haven't experienced issues with VSCode that's marvelous and hopefully it will stay that way for your programs. For the rest, there are 5k+ issues reported, a lot of them have workarounds so please look at their Github repository if you do.

 

Cheers.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I agree with @Esteban Pacheco, VS Code is best used in install-use-forget mode. Maintaining a series of extensions that uses a series of npm-loaded tools that together with config-files all over become mission-critical is not what i would suggest. Plus; the super-modern gui is beginning to fall over some kind of "hill" in that it's becoming more and more difficult to find stuff and more difficult to klick those 2 pixel high scroll bars. But it does shine!

Edited by Dany Marmur
Edit to say that i use it. A lot.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×