alogrep

10.4 Could not compile dbgrids

Hi

I get the error in 10.4 (I was not getting in 10.2). I put "Vcl.dbgrids" in Unit scope name, but it did not solve the problem.

Anybody knows what else am I missing?

Thanks

"Vcl.dbGrids" is a unit name "Vcl.dbGrids.pas", then, using "unit scope name = VCL", it should presume any .pas file where "Vcl" is the initial part of the name... you see me?

using "Unit Alias" in project options can help too, in special case!

You dont put "Vcl.dbGrid" in "unit scope", just "Vcl"

Verify if "Vcl.DBGrids.dcu" exist in your Embarcadero folders,for example in "Embarcadero root\ ... \lib\win32\debug" or "release" and your IDE can found

verify if when you put a DBGrid component some wrong happen!

then, can be a "Path" problem... RAD 10.4 had this problem in Delphi / CBuilder config! - Tools, Options, Language, Delphi, Library

verify if BPL (DclVclDBxxx.bpl) is loaded correctly!

image.thumb.png.3513d3a5cc4b6f0dd7d4be99be77d38d.png   image.thumb.png.fe9ca189b665255cb916e01f38532033.png

hug

Edited by Guest

I am using 10.4 and I used the built-in; and also made my own DB grid inherited from the built-in one. All works like a charm.

Does your Delphi say it doesn't know what TDBGrid is or cannot find the Vcl.DBGrids unit?

Anyway, doublecheck the library locations / just start with a fresh registry (bds -r temp) to see if the issue is with the installation or your settings.

David Hefferman,

The error is only one line (above it only hints and a warning)

[dcc32 Fatal Error] .. F2063 Could not compile used unit "dbgrids.pas"

shift-f9

if it doesn't help, you have an older/different dbgrids.dcu in the search path

fix the search path or remove the file and build the project (shift-f9)

If I start a fresh vcl app, and add a dbgrid to the unit, it compiles fine.

I suppose then it cannot besomething in the Tools-Language-Delphi->Library which is common to all projects.

What else could it bewrong in this specific project?

David, yes. But I do have "use compiled dcu's" checked. I have no idea why the the bds is trying to compile that unit

It's a bogus message. Did you check the project search path? Also the root dir of the project.

Edited by Attila Kovacs

just delete <<project_name>>.DPROJ and the IDE re-create your default definitions

Edited by Guest

emailx45. ref delete .dproj

That seems to work. I did it with a package and it fixed it. Thanks.  But now I am stuck with the absence of BDE for 10.4.

Edited by alogrep
Missing context

good news:

• same that you dont have BDE installer, stay knowing that RAD 10.4 CAN access Paradox or others by ODBC driver!
  • then, you dont really need have BDE installed in your machine!
  • in fact, BDE installer just installs the binary files to administrate your file-datas, or be, itself is not necessary for access Paradox tables for example!
    • like if when you install Firebird, Interbase (whatever) binarys
  • the RAD Studio until have "dclbde.dcp" in your default installation!

for access your old-datas-files like Paradox, for example: (NOT NEEDS BDE AT ALL)

1. in DataExplorer window (right side of your screen), in FireDAC connection, select "ODBC Data Source" ---> it normally is "empty"
  2. right-click and create a "NEW CONNECTION", give a name
  3. now, the FireDAC Connection appears, use the "Wizard" to create a new "DSN" with the definitions about your database (or folder where the files is in
  4. choice create a new DSN
  5. choice the drivers referent to data-files, for example: Driver for Microsoft for Paradox (*.db)
  6. in save, choice save this file DSN in same folder than your project, for easy access .. ok until "conclude" 
  7. all done, you came back to FireDAC Connection, then, just test the connection: click Test button
  8. it's done!
  9. now, you can use a FDTable or FDQuery to access your tables
  10. Happy end! No needs BDE itself for access old data-files, Paradox, DBase, Excell, etc..

NOTE: any component that use FDConnection, in this case, can be used! not needs be FDTable or FDQuery!

Screen001.thumb.png.a9dd1ba8b6cfe38010a77674e5e2d177.png    Screen002.thumb.png.d355fc053bf81c76c16910a17a97e4d5.png

hug

Edited by Guest