Sign in to follow this  
Rolf Fankhauser

What about additional free open source C++ libraries on GetIt ?

I tried to install and use OpenCV under C++Builder 10.3.3 (see stack overflow), until now without success.

Wouldn't it possible that Embarcadero could make this important library available via GetIt or at least provide a short installation tutorial with working dll's and import libs ?

For Delphi there is a project on GitHub (Delphi-OpenCV) but it's an old version and I don't know if it can be used in C++Builder.

At the moment there are 15 C++ libraries available on GetIt. Not very much compared to MS VC  (ca. 800) .

I don't need 800 but it is rather frustrating if I see an interesting library but install/compiling instructions only for GCC or MS VC or just precompiled packages only for MS VC..

Some libraries are easier to install than OpenCV, e.g. NLopt for non-linear optimization that I tested. Would also be a candidate for GetIt.

Maybe I belong to a minority of RAD Studio users because I need many mathematical and scientific libraries and these libraries have low priority for Embarcadero. Then let me know...

• Like 1

The ease of use with open source C++ libraries is a key feature when choosing a C++ development environment. I agree with your highlighting the need for Embarcadero to direct attention to this.

• Like 1

I fully agree with that.
The fact that open source libraries are not easy to use with RAD Studio or C++Builder is one of the biggest limitations. Installing via GetIt is nice, but much more important from my point of view is a reasonable support of CMake.

I think you get young programmers at school and in the universities - there you set yourself on a "favorite IDE". Without the ability to compile open source libraries, Embarcadero is out of the race when it comes to generating young talents who use RAD Studio. What a pity!

I am using VTK with RAD Studio - the only reason for that is because I am bound to the IDE with old projects. It would be cool if we put together in this thread or wherever C++ libraries that can be "somehow" compiled with RAD Studio. In cooperation with Embarcadero we should bring the open source capability forward piece by piece.

PS
Okay, I'm dreaming 😉

Edited by oliwe
  • Like 1

Yes! and I firmly believe that both Newton and Einstein had good ideas [a fact] whilst dreaming [pure conjecture].

@oliwe: I have already encountered VTK when I worked shortly with Paraview using some CFD software and VisIt (3D visualization of MRI slices) and recently when I was looking for a graph drawing library. Many programs and libraries are built on top of VTK.

At the moment I use Graphviz in C++Builder for drawing graphs/networks. But I use a Javascript implementation of Graphviz viz.js. There is also a COM library WinGraphviz that could be used.

Thanks for the reference to graphviz - I will  have a look on it.
I am very satisfied with VTK, but it is very time-consuming to compile VTK with the C++Builder. Currently I am on version 7.1.1 - and it is always a pain to jump on a newer version.
Using OpenCV in GetIt or via CMake would be a big step forward also for me.

Would it not be up to the author on GitHub to support GetIt?
What does MS VS use? Nuget?  In that case, the logical thing would be for C++Builder to support Nuget?

1 hour ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Would it not be up to the author on GitHub to support GetIt?
What does MS VS use? Nuget?  In that case, the logical thing would be for C++Builder to support Nuget?

Nuget is for .Net, not for C++. C++ has a bunch of package managers but none of them is considered the de facto standard that almost everyone uses.

So, to get real traction for a C++ Getit, one could write a plugin for VS and flog the heck out of it on the forums...

3 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

So, to get real traction for a C++ Getit, one could write a plugin for VS and flog the heck out of it on the forums...

Because what percentage of overall C++ development is being done in Visual Studio again?