Sign in to follow this  
CB2021

64bit Debugger Not Handling Memory Problems

I'm not sure my debugger is working correctly.  I'm using a 64bit VCL project in 10.4.2  I have a bug that access an array that was never declared. It would normally be declared using calloc. Rather than any message from the debugger, all I get is a generic "Access violation" message. Then I have to track down the error using break points and stepping through the code.  Is this how the 64bit debugger is supposed to work?  In the past CB would give a debugger warning when this happened.  

There should be an attached picture which shows this. 

Access violation at address 00007FF9243A4B59 in module "KERNELBASE.dll". Read of address 0000000000007CC8

There are several third party memory tools such as Deleaker and EurekaLog.  Do I need to buy one of these tools to handle memory problems?  

debugerror.png

That's exactly the error I'd expect and the debugger will break at the line of code that accesses the uninitialized pointer. None of these tools will make much difference to this sort of debugging. You just need a slightly better understanding of how memory errors manifest and how to let the debugger tell you what's wrong. 

That dialog there is definitely not from the debugger. Make sure you did not accidentally disable breaking on exceptions.

Edited by Stefan Glienke

CB used to have CodeGuard that would catch this type of memory access violations. It was built-in and easy to use. We need something like CodeGuard that will catch memory errors.