Sign in to follow this  
Rinzwind

code completion?

I thought let's try out C++ Builder for fun. Downloaded Community edition, installed, created empty VCL application, code... and find out code completion/insight is not working at all. When hovering over a variable it says 'bla bla is being indexed' forever. When I change the compiler to classic it works again. Anyone else? Seems like a huge hindrance? Anyone where everything is working fine? The structure viewer is also missing things like buttons... which are there in Delphi.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The flakey code completion is, as you say, a huge hindrance. Embarcadero are aware of this, hopefully it will be better in the coming version (11) (although community edition releases usually lag behind the subscription license versions a bit).

Your comment about missing things in the structure viewer is puzzling though. It's a bit of a vague description. Can you be more precise and/or post a screen shot or two?

When I type #include < characters get entered automatically that I don't want.  I'm not sure what this technology is called but it is a pain.  I have some of my own headers that I include with <> because they are used by multiple projects.  How is this turned off?  I have 10.4 Community.

• Like 1

Strange: I don't get any characters - can you tell us what "characters" you get ?

After typing #include < there is a selection box with file names.  If I ignore that something gets selected anyway and characters from a file name are inserted.  I would like to turn it off.

Checking up on this it seems that #include <xxx.h> is recommended for including standard headers only.  What are you trying to achieve by using this rather than the normal #include "xxx.h" syntax?

The <> syntax is used to include library headers and that can include your own library code shared by multiple projects.