Ian Branch

Application.MainForm v Self v Nil??

Hi Team,

When creating a form in code..   i.e.  MyForm := TMyForm.Create(xxx);

If the code the creation is happening is in the MainForm's code, what are the Pros and Cons of xxx being 'Application.MainForm', 'Self' and 'Nil' please??

Does it matter??

Regards & TIA,

Ian

Hi Uwe,

Apologies.

In my MainForm I create subforms depending on the menu selection.

I currently use the format MyForm := TMyForm.Create(nil);  Just an old habit/practice.

I have seen variously 'Application.MainForm', 'Self' and 'Nil' in the .Create().

I am curious, if the subform creation is from the MainForm's code, what are the Pros and/or Cons of using 'Application.MainForm', 'Self' or 'Nil' in the .Create()??

Is Application.MainForm the same as Self in this context?

HTH.

Regards,

Ian

Application.MainForm is set with the first TForm created with Application.CreateForm.

23 hours ago, Ian Branch said:

I am curious, if the subform creation is from the MainForm's code, what are the Pros and/or Cons of using 'Application.MainForm', 'Self' or 'Nil' in the .Create()??

The only thing that matters is whether you assign a nil Owner (ie, you are responsible for freeing the sub-Form when you are done using it) or assign a non-nil Owner (ie, the Owner will free the sub-Form when the Owner itself is freed).  WHO the Owner is when non-nil is largely irrelevant, as long as the Owner outlives the usage of the sub-Form.

23 hours ago, Ian Branch said:

Is Application.MainForm the same as Self in this context?

Yes.