fe-hre

New Installation of Rad Studio 10.2 (Tokyo)

Hello,

Many years ago, I have succesfully installed Rad Studio 10.2 (Tokyo) on Windows 10 Pro. Actually this is version 22H2. Since now I could build some projects with Delphi / VCL

As it seems to not work correctly anymore, I have decided to deinstall all und install again.

After installation and start of Rad Studio, I get a first screen with "Plattform choice" (wich tells that there are no more Plattform to Install). How can I get rid of this? I use only 32bit + VCL. In my previous installation, I did not get this.

Then the IDE is started, but there are no components available. If I select the menu "Component", there is only "Import component", no "Add package" for example.

Could someone give me some help?

Thanks a lot.

Regards

Hubert

• If your license is allowed have +1 installation, then you can try "delete" all Embarcadero folders to start from begin! -- it's better than reinstall MSWindows! 🙂 
    • uninstall it at first, of course!
    • RAD Studio store your license info and others in c:\ProgramData\Embarcadero  (including 3 folders with names using "GUID" format) - normally, 3 first subfolders on \ProgramData
    • in "c:\User\<<win user>>\AppData\Local"  and "\Roamming" you'll have the IDE config files after your first load
  • It's preferable install it using ISO to avoid any problem with Embarcadero connection!
    • reserve some like "60GB - 100GB" to installation, after this, you can delete all residual files!
Edited by programmerdelphi2k

Thanks for both answers

I am using Offline installer, not quite the iso file (that I have stored when buying the licence), but a file that I had downloaded in 2017: radstudio10_2_2_esd_2004.exe. I can remember that I have used it for the first installation (10.1 was already installed). As the second post mentioned, I may have  Embarcadero connection problems and get some corresponding error messages. I will try with the web installer, I suppose I will find this in my account.

I do have deinstalled all before reinstalling, also deleted some folders. Perhaps I have forgotten some, I will follow your advice. At beginning of reinstalling, the license is found and it asks whether it should use it

14 hours ago, fe-hre said:

As it seems to not work correctly anymore, I have decided to deinstall all und install again.

That was probably not the best thing to do. The number of install you are allowed is very limited (I think it is 3). If you need more installations, you'll need to contact Embarcadero to request them to bump the installation count.

It's to late now but it would have bee a good idea to give the exact error message you have before deleting everything.

Note that if you had the community edition, that license must be renewed each year.

Update: installing from the iso file works much better (and longer)

To François: thanks for the advice. It is the second time and the install seems still to work. I will remember this, but this time I think it was better in order to remoge some garbage...

2 hours ago, fe-hre said:

To François: thanks for the advice. It is the second time and the install seems still to work. I will remember this, but this time I think it was better in order to remoge some garbage...

Think about making a backup...

3 hours ago, FPiette said:

Think about making a backup...

You mean a whole Windows backup, or only for Rad Studio? For the latest is it possible? I intend to buy a new laptop in about one year and I think there is no other way as install again...

52 minutes ago, fe-hre said:

You mean a whole Windows backup, or only for Rad Studio?

That's your choice. The problem is to know what exactly need to be backuped for RAD studio. There are files and registry keys.

53 minutes ago, fe-hre said:

I intend to buy a new laptop in about one year and I think there is no other way as install again...

The license is linked to the computer name. If you change your computer name (maybe because you have a new one) then the license won't work anymore.

Consider using a VMware virtual machine. You install RAD studio inside the VM and you can move the VM to another computer without any issue. And you can use "snapshot" to save the VM state, including his disks, and get back to it at will. This is a kind of local backup. I use a VM for trying things that cannot be uninstalled or for beta software. I always keep a snapshot with the clean state. Actually I take a snapshot right after having setup windows with all the initial settings. Then I take a second one when I have installed all utilities I use for development. And then other as needed, for example before installing any beta.

The only caveat of virtual machine is when you have to control hardware devices. They are usually not supported by the virtual infrastructure.

RAD backup doesnt works, because your license will be verifyed by Embarcadero when online (maybe some checksum), and, YOU will need backup your REGISTRY with all Embarcadero keys in HCU and HLM!!! 

• then, in your new RAD "re-install/COPY" your MSWindows Registry should receive old-registry-Embarcadero keys backup-ed! -> do it run?

now, if using a VM to install your RAD, you can do it! but maybe you have some problem with mobile development/external hardware...

I stay in this thread, I think it belongs to it.

The installation of rad studio 10.2.2 went well, also the installation of third party components where I could succesfully install the packages and set the library path. Finally I have opened my application project und build it again, with no compiler errors.

Unfortunately by running the exe, I get some access violation. With the debugger it seems to happen when the third party components (most of them without source) are called.

I have still the last exe that have been generated with the first Delphi installation. Running it with exactly the same conditions works perfectly.

I am not using Delphi very often this last years and perhaps I do oversee something?... If somone has a hint how to proceed in this situation, I would be happy. It is only a VCL application.

you need pay attention on follow:

• the third-party components dont have source, ok == but was compiled for your current IDE?
  • you create and release from memory ?

can show some code where you think that all occurs?

1 hour ago, programmerdelphi2k said:

you need pay attention on follow:

• the third-party components dont have source, ok == but was compiled for your current IDE?
  • you create and release from memory ?

can show some code where you think that all occurs?

As I already mentionned but now different formulated, I did not change anything in the code and it was working fine in the previous installation (the one before I decided to reinstall all)

The third-party components are either specific delivered for this Delphi version or I compile when possible. And of course I always create and release from memory.

As far as I know, I have done exactly the same for the reinstall as for the first install (where it was working). Exactly same code and third-party components

22 minutes ago, programmerdelphi2k said:

try "delete all dcus" or same "folder DCU target " to avoid use residual files!

Could be something, thanks. I will try tomorrow or after the Weekend and let you know. Nice Christmas time!

Problem solved. The project itself was also corrupted. I have taken a previous version and all was ok.

Thanks all for your inputs

• Like 1

I successfully installed Delphi (RAD 10.4.2) on my desktop PC. Then attempted to install a couple of extensions to give serial port access. They seemed to crash so I uninstalled them, and the Delphi installation was messed up too, so I uninstalled that. Ever since, the install crashes with a message

Operation error

Cannot load data from the server:

Problem when extracting compressed file.

Thinking perhaps it was running out of space on C: when unpacking files, I have deleted a bunch of stuff from C:, no having about 20G free when starting the install. But I still get the same message. It seems to have installed the basic IDE, but doesn't install the examples, which I very much need as I'm new to Delphi (but not to embedded programming in general (over 4 decades' experience).

My project is stuck until I can install Delphi and get it working. I'm probably missing something very simple, but no idea what it would be. Can anyone help?

9 hours ago, Steve Hendrix said:

until I can install Delphi and get it working.

Run the installer with administrative rights.

Do you have an anti-virus software? If you do, do a full scan of your computer and then deactivate it before installing and reactive it again after.

Use the command line "SFC /scannow" to check your Windows integrity.

Do you have Windows own protection against ransomware activated? This make a lot of directories read-only unless you give permission?

Is your Windows up-to-date we are at version 22H2 for both Win10 and Win11.
If you Internet connection is not reliable, try downloading the ISO file (Offline installer) and install from it.

All the newer versions cause so many problems. I've spent weeks and months of my life looking for errors in the installtion. I'm using Delphi 7 now. It always works. The license has never caused any problems.

1 hour ago, Ralf7 said:

All the newer versions cause so many problems. I've spent weeks and months of my life looking for errors in the installtion. I'm using Delphi 7 now. It always works. The license has never caused any problems.

That is about as relevant as commenting "Buy a Volkswagen" on a "How do I fix my Mercedes" post.

Maybe you missed it, but the problem is solved:

Problem solved. The project itself was also corrupted. I have taken a previous version and all was ok.