cupboy

Current subscription required to download ?

17 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

it went smoothless.

I assume you mean "smoothly" or "effortlessly"? 

2 hours ago, Joseph MItzen said:

I've not encountered this limited download period with software in recent times.

I compared Delphi with industrial software, because the probable sales are more homogeneous in terms of numbers than the sales of houses like Microsoft or Epic (I think they sell millions of copies)...

However the problem (I repeat) is definitely not the download of the software (I understand that you would like to have everything perfect) as much as its possible activation.
And this is because the activation process (without an subscription license) includes contact with a possible third-party commercial company whose "core business" is the sale of products (including "subscription licenses"), as  @Uwe Raabe has highlighted.

The state of affairs is this, and if the normal measures of the "good father of a family" (in Italy they say so) are adopted at the time of purchase, there will certainly be much fewer problems in the future.

Edited by DelphiUdIT
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Indeed! I'm currently on vacation and my brain is probably in low energy mode.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

I hope not, because there's a Smoothless In Delphi Seattle joke in there somewhere.

On 8/18/2023 at 10:26 AM, Brandon Staggs said:

I have a drive full of software setup packages so I don't have to hope someone else is storing my data for me.

I've been doing some checking and Microsoft is working on their own package manager, WinGet. It would be nice if Embarcadero supported WinGet or chocolately in the future to assist in automated deploys on PCs or VMs. That's the simplest solution to alleviate users' complaints and remove any support burden Embarcadero feels around hosting install files.

On 8/21/2023 at 12:02 AM, Joseph MItzen said:

That's an inappropriate comparison; digital and physical media are different in every way which matters for this comparison. Digital media doesn't cost money to produce extra copies; digital media doesn't take up warehouse space.

Keeping old versions of software around and properly managing the link expirations and qualifications for re-download is certainly not free. And the solution is to simply download the ISO when you purchase it and keep your own data secure. I am not saying I like Embarcadero's policy on this, but calling it unethical is not correct.