Tommi Prami

Requested for IDE to support more RAM (vote/discuss if you care)

16 minutes ago, Brandon Staggs said:

My original theory was that they have someone with a fat subscription contract that is demanding the feature.

It is more that there are several of those.

On 6/16/2023 at 4:18 PM, Brandon Staggs said:

My original theory was that they have someone with a fat subscription contract that is demanding the feature. 🙂

That is probably as good a justification as any other. 🙂

On 6/15/2023 at 5:14 PM, David Heffernan said:

Not on all delphi versions, IIRC. If you want a 32 bit integer then there are types for that. FixedInt and FixedUInt. 

The whole point of Integer is that it maps to the platform's C int. 

Frankly, I have never used FixedInt/FixedUint and probably never will.  The prefix "Fixed" does not convey any information, they might as well have called it TweakedInt. 

[edit]

I see in unit system.pas that integer types Int8, Int16, Int32, int64, uint8, uint16, uint32, uint64 all exist. If we want a fixed 32 bit integer, we can specify that concisely.

Edited by A.M. Hoornweg

53 minutes ago, A.M. Hoornweg said:

Frankly, I have never used FixedInt/FixedUint and probably never will.  The prefix "Fixed" does not convey any information, they might as well have called it TweakedInt. 

[edit]

I see in unit system.pas that integer types Int8, Int16, Int32, int64, uint8, uint16, uint32, uint64 all exist. If we want a fixed 32 bit integer, we can specify that concisely.

Fair enough. Those aliases are certainly much more transparently named.