XylemFlow

Styling message boxes

I use TDialogServiceSync.MessageDialog and TDialogServiceSync.ShowMessage in my Windows / mac OS application. However, I've added a dark mode to my application from a downloaded style and it doesn't seem possible to set the style of these message boxes. The only solution seems to be to create my own message dialog forms and call them using ShowModal. Firstly, will that give exactly the same behaviour? Secondly, does anyone have or know of any free code for message dialog forms? I'd like it to support the various button combination options (TMsgDlgButtons) and an icon depending on TMsgDlgType. If not I'll of course make them myself.

I guess that one issue will be that currently I think the message boxes show the text on the buttons in the user's own language according to their Windows regional settings.

If you are displaying message boxes in your code, you are presumably displaying text inside them. So if you are worried about the language of the buttons you presumably have a strategy for handling different languages for the text that you are displaying in the box. Surely you can use the same strategy to translate the button captions?

I frequently use my own dialog boxes and ShowModal() rather than the OS message boxes. One advantage I find is that when users ask for support over the phone it is much easier to determine if the message box is generated by my code (because I give it a red or blue background (for error or warning)) or if the message box is generated by the OS (in which case it is in the standard OS colours). I haven't found any problems with this approach.