Ian Branch

Some REST help please.

1 hour ago, mvanrijnen said:

Why could a POST not be a port of a REST API interface?

A REST API has rules : using http commands with parameters to access data as a list or a record and allowing CRUD features if needed.

A POST is by convention something with parameters send like a browser does : url encoded in the body, not as a textual body content.

They do what they want, it's not the problem, but using REST API as a description of what they do is not true, because we expect standard behavior instead of something that doesn't respect the habits of this type of interface.

It's an API, a web API, but not a REST API.

1 hour ago, Patrick PREMARTIN said:

A POST is by convention something with parameters send like a browser does : url encoded in the body, not as a textual body content.

As far as i know it's widely accepted to put the data in a put/post request as json in the body. 

@Patrick PREMARTIN

I have never seen some documentation about a REST API to forbit or even avoid POST requests. If you have a link to such docs I would be interested.

In my (surely limited) experience with REST API implementations that are not simply read-only, I never encountered anything restricted to GET requests.

In my limited experience with APIs and REST interfaces, it seems the API says whether it's a GET, POST, or some other HTTP request type, regardless if it follows typical REST protocols. Recently I had an encounter with a REST interface that's not just a POST request (due to the size of the payload) but it also allows optional querystring parameters on the URL. It sends data back in a RESTResponse packet. It took me quite a while to figure this out since it's not even clearly documented. Whaddaydo?

Edited by David Schwartz