Kurt G

Can not install Delphi Community Edition 11.2

My Delphi 10.4 Sydney Community Edition has expired and I would like a new license.
When I tried to install 11.2 I got 12.0
Finally, I manually deleted everything in the dir where RAD was installed.
Now when I want to install Delphi Community Edition 11.2, it says that there is already a version on the PC that it wants to remove.
But instead it comes back to the same place and I can't uninstall.
What can I do?

7 hours ago, Kurt G said:

That's correct. Embarcadero want CE user to use the latest version of their product.

Anyway, why do you want to use an older version?

btw: if you BUY a license, then you may install older versions, even in parallel.

8 hours ago, Kurt G said:

My Delphi 10.4 Sydney Community Edition has expired and I would like a new license.
Finally, I manually deleted everything in the dir where RAD was installed.
Now when I want to install Delphi Community Edition 11.2, it says that there is already a version on the PC that it wants to remove.
But instead it comes back to the same place and I can't uninstall.
What can I do?

How do you get the CE version of 12 ?

Delphi IDE for Native Apps: Community Edition - Embarcadero

States its still 11.x ?

OK.
But my problem now is that the installer says there is a version that needs to be removed first.
Then when I tell the installer to remove the old program, the program shuts down. This repeats itself every time!
Since I manually deleted the entire dir of the old program, the installer must find information somewhere that makes it think the program still exists.
Where do I find this information and how do I remove it?

1 hour ago, Kurt G said:

Since I manually deleted the entire dir of the old program

That's not how to remove a program. You should have used the installer to remove it because there are many other things (registry keys for example) and other folders. Now you must find all references to the old program and delete it, including hidden files and folders. Do that with administrator privileges.

2 hours ago, Kurt G said:

OK.
But my problem now is that the installer says there is a version that needs to be removed first.
Then when I tell the installer to remove the old program, the program shuts down. This repeats itself every time!
Since I manually deleted the entire dir of the old program, the installer must find information somewhere that makes it think the program still exists.
Where do I find this information and how do I remove it?

TAKE CAREFULLY AND UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING. WHAT I TELL YOU MAY DAMAGE WINDOWS INSTALLATION. DO IT AT YOUR RISK.

All the paths are the standard paths, verify that you do the right thing in your installation.

First, delete these folders (and all contents, YOURNAME is the name of your account):

"C:\ProgramData\Embarcadero"

"C:\Program FIles (x86)\Embarcadero"

"C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Embarcadero"

"C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\Embarcadero"

Then with Regedit utility delete these keys (and all sub):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Embarcadero

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Embarcadero

That's should be enough.

Bye

Edited by DelphiUdIT

I have used the installer probably 10 times, but each time it ended up installing ver. 12, or it ran cleanly without installing anything.
OK, I have to get down to removing the remnants of the old installation. :-)

21 minutes ago, DelphiUdIT said:

"C:\ProgramData\Embarcadero"

DO NOT DELETE THIS FOLDER It contains license information.

If there is a reason for removing or editing some license, it should be done through license manager. If it really needs to be deleted, then copy it to some place first, so you can put it back just in case.

Edited by Dalija Prasnikar

1 hour ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

DO NOT DELETE THIS FOLDER It contains license information.

If there is a reason for removing or editing some license, it should be done through license manager. If it really needs to be deleted, then copy it to some place first, so you can put it back just in case.

He must install the community edition which is incompatible with any other installed version. I don't know how the CE tests the presence of another product, but certainly by deleting that directory you remove traces of any other licenses (which in the new versions also affects AppData\.......\Embarcadero).
As per your suggestion, he could make a copy to possibly keep the data.

Edited by DelphiUdIT

It occurred to me that I might be able to retrieve the program folder from the trash. I found it and recreated it.
But I still have problem installing 11.2. I must be doing something wrong somewhere.
Should I create a new question with those issues?

Now I've managed to get 11.2 installed. Sorry for the trouble I've caused.
Is there something about giving points for the answers?

You can give a reaction to a post, such as Thanks. Hover your mouse over the heart icon in the lower right corner of a post to select a reaction.

On 11/22/2023 at 10:37 AM, Kurt G said:

Is there something about giving points for the answers?

This is not StackOverflow.  We don't give out points here.