Erix A.

MacOS development environment

Hi,

What's the best environment for MacOS development?

- MacBook/Mini and running Delphi in Windows via VirtualBox/Parallels?

- installing Hackintosh and running Delphi in Windows via VirtualBox/Parallels?

- connect to Mac via VNC Viewer?

- just have Mac next to the PC and switch over to it each time program is deployed?

- other options?

I've experimented with running MacOS in VirtualBox. It works, but is damn slow and also I'd like to test my program on a real hardware.

The best thing is to have a real Mac and Windows into a VM that can directly access the macOS while both environment run concurrently.
I use VMWare Fusion for Windows 10 and it works flawlessly.
Hackintosh should work but it is illegal to have a Mac VM outside of a Mac environment. Once you have to deploy your iOS or macOS app via Xcode, you don't know whether this is traced down.

• Like 2

The really best thing is to have one cheap iMac somewhere in a shelf, running headless. Then a Windows computer of your choice and a fast connection between the two. PAServer is running on the Mac and for the times you need to see results you connect remotely via some remote protocol like VNC.

This way you can scale to more developers without the cost of buying a mac for them.

I too use a mac with a Windows VM via Parallels however. The VM has the advantage of taking snapshots, but a solid backup solution should do the same trick...

6 hours ago, sjordi said:

The best thing is to have a real Mac and Windows into a VM that can directly access the macOS while both environment run concurrently.

If you mean by your above comment that MacBook Pro would be the perfect environment, I would completely sign that statement.
Its absolutely great to switch between complete VM machines back and forth in milliseconds, and you have all the environments
under one hood accessible.

Unfortunaltely the only the keyboard quality is not my favorite, but one can get used to it.
I would vote for the MB Pro as development workstation:  (+1)

! BUT WAIT:

Only recently Apple's designers decided to destroy their complete MB business, by adding the fancy TouchBar.
Since then there is no more ESC, not F1 .. F12 key, only a flat surface w/o haptic feedback,
That configuration is completely useless, not only for development/debugging, but I would say also for most productive works,

like graphics design, webdesign, video production, etc.

If you would like to pay more for a simple eye-catching internet browser, then please do, but IMHO the original MB Pro spirit is dead.
I would vote against the MB Pro (w/ touchbar):  (-1)

So how to solve this paradox of the most valuable company in the world ?

Maybe by purchasing a special Logitech multi-device keyboard that make MB Pro workable again ?
Unfortunately there seems to be no real alternative for the keyboard with trackpad in the market

(probably because of Apple has patented every slight shaky finger movement as gesture, and prevent any useful hardware extension

by their extensivly costly MiFi program).

Some day in the distant future there might be a good external keyboard/trackpad solution in the market,

or in the near future Apple may have moved from hardware manufacturer to cloud services provider business completely.

You never know :classic_huh:

Edited by Rollo62

I too am working on an MBPro (2016 model though). I would not notice the touchbar because I use an external keyboard and mouse. I consider any notebook keyboard to be inferior to a regular external one. And a trackpad is an inadequate mouse replacement.

I have a MacBook Pro connected to 2 screens, one with MacOS and one with Windows running RadStudio.

I too use it as a desktop with a external keyboard and mouse.

And it's perfect if you're traveling, you still have the entire environment with you in one machine. That's my case, I travel a lot and can work wherever I am: country, city, plane, train, jungle, etc... 

But if you want multiple users, it's right that having a dedicated cheap Mac is best as you buy it only once and it's used by everyone.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 10:56 AM, sjordi said:

I use VMWare Fusion for Windows 10 and it works flawlessly.

Are you happy with the VMWare Fusion and are you using the normal or pro version?

On 5/17/2019 at 9:11 AM, Rollo62 said:

So how to solve this paradox of the most valuable company in the world ?

"Most highly valued" is not equivalent to "most valuable."