jesu

Delphi 12: internal errors

Posted (edited)

Hello. I'm testing Delphi 12 + patch 1 and getting some internal errors like

F2084 Internal Error: AV6AA94AE0(6AA70000)-R00000018-0.

F2084 Internal Error: D33789

Closing Delphi and deleting dcus so far has solved it, but it doesn't improve chances that we upgrade. Is this a known problem?

Thanks.

Edited by jesu

And I've also had a couple of stack overflows just moving some components and recompiling

You should report these as bugs to Embarcadero, but unfortunately they've been unable to provide a mechanism for reporting bugs for last past few months.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jesu said:

Closing Delphi and deleting dcus so far has solved it, but it doesn't improve chances that we upgrade. Is this a known problem?

Does it occur again on the same project? DCUs are Delphi version specific (with a couple of notable exceptions). If Delphi 12 successfully your project after you manually deleted DCUs, but this error occurs again in Delphi 12 building the same project, then something is wrong. Perhaps something is off with your Delphi 12 install or environment. Or perhaps it is a defect in the compiler. Open a support ticket as DelphiUdIT suggested.

An online search reveals a couple other things to try in the meantime. If it is a large project, go to Project Options, Building, Delphi Compiler, and set "Use MSBuild externally to compile" to true and see if that helps. Another suggestion is to disable the compiler's use of an unit cache. This is done by modifying the registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Embarcadero\BDS\22.0\Compiling\Enable Unit Directory Cache.

Posted (edited)

No, so far they are not reproducible. They've happened just once in several projects, so I don't know if it's something in common to those projects
I have Ddevextensions installed, so I've disabled cache there to see if that helps

Edited by jesu

I started to experiment with Delphi 12 shortly after it came out at work with a fairly large project. It is using ~100 home-brewn components, consists of thousands of frames (with multiple levels of visual inheritance which is a deathbed for Delphi as far as I recall) in about 1,5M LOC (excluding all external packages which we use from DCU).

Until we make the decision to officially switch I'll keep using Delphi 12 as a daily driver, supporting the same codebase as everyone else and in my experience even the unpatched Delphi 12 gave less internal errors than 11.2 (which we are currently on).

At the start of Feb, using D12, I spent quite a few weeks porting and testing a couple of million LOC. 
Opinion, the IDE is a joke, this has to be the worst IDE I have seen, QA needs to be sacked. 

These are just some issues I have noticed, note I use it every day.
- the toolbars are wrecked 

- the menu system doesn't appear. 

- the layout on opening Delphi on my machine opens 1in wide no matter how many times I save a new layout. 
- the evaluate dialogs constantly expand and expand upon reopening. 
- code insight hangs the system from time to time especially when trying to do a for loop syntax.

The nice things are the compiler is faster at least with my application, I have gone from 6min builds back to under 2mins.

The debugger is working even on a standard compile rather than a build.  10.3.3 would only let us Debug once before the IDE had to be reloaded.

As for the code base so far it's looking very promising. My app is in QA's hands now looking for issues. 
But overall it looks a little faster on painting of vcl/forms something has changed I haven't picked what yet. 

Given the IDE is not in a great state it is still workable for me at least. 

So far I am pleased. 

19 hours ago, David Szkilnyk said:

QA needs to be sacked

Can you open an RSP on that 😂

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/13/2024 at 1:59 AM, David Szkilnyk said:

Opinion, the IDE is a joke, this has to be the worst IDE I have seen, QA needs to be sacked
(...)
Given the IDE is not in a great state it is still workable for me at least. 

So far I am pleased. 

Well, that de-escalated quickly.

Edited by Der schöne Günther
  • Haha 6

No, disabling package cache hasn't helped at all