Mr. E

Where can I find the official version numbers of the embarcadero products?

Do you know if Embarcadero publishes any list with the official version numbers of their products?

I installed version 12 several months ago; and I'm sure I installed patch1 (using the offline installer):

[2024-05-08 11:08:10] [INFO ] Patch successfully applied. Backup and log files are in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\23.0\_patch-backup\2024-05-08 11.07.38'.

And this is my current version:

Embarcadero® Delphi 12 Version 29.0.51961.7529.

And the IDE does not mention the installed patch:

image.png.e678f37fee4fead7b10ed8c471fa1e36.png

Then I notice that the "Welcome Page" indicates "patch available", and I found this from blogs.embarcadero.com

Notice that you also have the ability to dismiss the patch and not be reminded about it in the Welcome Page any more, even without installing it. Also, if you install the patch via GetIt, the About Box in the IDE will indicate the patch has been installed.

At this point I have already instructed getit to ignore the patch. BTW the number shown in getit is somewhat confusing: "12.1 Patch 1 1.0"

Regards

7 hours ago, Mr. E said:

Do you know if Embarcadero publishes any list with the official version numbers of their products?

It sure seems like there should be but I can't find it. I think the Wikipedia page has a pretty good overview of the version history but it's unofficial, of course.

I've got a list of several Delphi About screens of several versions of Delphi and your 12.1 build number matches the one I have installed.

I've found that "patch" is often interchangeable with "update" when it comes to Delphi version numbers (although "update" seems more official and more often includes features while "patch" is more often used for bug fixes or missing files in the original installation).

• Like 1

The difference between updates and patches seems to be that updates change the version number on the about dialog and patches don't. If installed via GetIt, patches are listed in the registry and will be shown in the about dialog as an additional information, but that does not happen if you don't use GetIt for the installation. 

Both can switch some executables, which then will get a new version number, but you have to know for which executables to look to see that difference.

I have code in GExperts that identifies the current update and patch level in case some workaround or fix is necessary. I thought about making a small stand alone tool from this, but never came around doing it. That code is in 

https://sourceforge.net/p/gexperts/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/Source/Framework/GX_GetIdeVersion.pas

In case anybody is interested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

The difference between updates and patches seems to be that updates change the version number on the about dialog and patches don't

I believe you're right as evidenced by both 12.1 and 11.3:

image.png.02562c46aaac4a14bc0a046e5a770bd5.png

image.png.c1c19f32910289c7a27dbde7bc8fda2e.png

But back in XE series, some patches were referred to as updates:

image.png.c21ac7f110d450385fd28adeef918fca.png

7 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

I have code in GExperts that identifies the current update and patch level in case some workaround or fix is necessary.

That's pretty nice and comprehensive code!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, corneliusdavid said:

That's pretty nice and comprehensive code!

I inherited most of it, the part that I wrote was based on the existing code, so I can't take the credit.

Edited by dummzeuch

46 minutes ago, corneliusdavid said:

But back in XE series, some patches were referred to as updates:

image.png.c21ac7f110d450385fd28adeef918fca.png

I don't remember the specifics, but there was some legislation in the U.S. that restricted what a publicly owned software company could release as a "patch" or fix versus an update.

Thank you all for your replies!

@corneliusdavid, some time ago I looked on wikipedia, and I re-confirm that it does not show the full version number.

That screen D12.1 screen is really informative +1

11 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

The difference between updates and patches seems to be that updates change the version number on the about dialog and patches don't. If installed via GetIt, patches are listed in the registry and will be shown in the about dialog as an additional information, but that does not happen if you don't use GetIt for the installation. 

This is a good piece of information! I will try the code provided @dummzeuch, and try to keep better track of the versions from today.

15 hours ago, Patrick PREMARTIN said:

Hi, you have this repository too to get version infos : https://github.com/omonien/Delphi-Version-Information

Thanks @Patrick PREMARTIN !!!
I was trying yesterday to use the @dummzeuch code, but I couldn't; apparently it's too tied to its original purpose “GEExperts” and I couldn't get it to work as something separate.

I will try this repository you mention at the first opportunity.

(At the moment I'm putting out fires in the office: Windows 11 and CData/Excel/Firedac bit my hand today, 32bit app on windows 11x64 doesn't work, luckily I managed to compile to 64bit)

Posted (edited)

Thanks for pointing to this, there I also find the link to Darian Miller's great version list
https://github.com/ideasawakened/DelphiKB/wiki/Delphi-Master-Release-List

Thanks for that great summary.

Which makes me reconsider my simplified, internal nomenclature, which also uses 3 elements Major, Minor, Update.

Nevertheless, I think this list is perhaps not 100% clear regarding the patch nomenclature, or I miss something, for example.

VER360 D29.ATHENS.        12.1.0.1     12.1 Patch 1

VER360 D29.ATHENS.        12.1.0.0     RAD Studio 12 Athens Release 1

VER360 D29.ATHENS.        12.0.0.2     12 Inline Release

VER360 D29.ATHENS.        12.0.0.1     12.0 Patch 1    

VER360 D29.ATHENS.        12.0.0.0     RAD Studio 12 Athens

VER350 D28.ALEXANDRIA.11.3.0.0     RAD Studio 11 Alexandria Release 3

VER350 D28.ALEXANDRIA.11.2.0.1     11.2 Patch 1

VER350 D28.ALEXANDRIA.11.2.0.0     RAD Studio 11 Alexandria Release 2

VER350 D28.ALEXANDRIA.11.1.0.2     11.1 Patch 2

VER350 D28.ALEXANDRIA.11.1.0.1     11.1 Patch 1
VER350 D28.ALEXANDRIA.11.1.0.0     RAD Studio 11 Alexandria Release 1

VER350 D28.ALEXANDRIA.11.0.0.4     11.0 January PAServer Patch

VER350 D28.ALEXANDRIA.11.0.0.3     11.0 November Patch

VER350 D28.ALEXANDRIA.11.0.0.2     11.0 PA Server Patch for iOS
VER350 D28.ALEXANDRIA.11.0.0.1     11.0 Patch 1    

VER350 D28.ALEXANDRIA.11.0.0.0     RAD Studio 11 Alexandria

VER340 D27.SYDNEY.        10.4.2.3     10.4.2 RTL Patch 1

VER340 D27.SYDNEY.        10.4.2.2     10.4.2 General Patch 1

VER340 D27.SYDNEY.        10.4.2.1     10.4.2 Compiler Patch 1

VER340 D27.SYDNEY.        10.4.2.0     10.4.2 RAD Studio Sydney Update 2

VER340 D27.SYDNEY.        10.4.1.4     10.4.1 Sydney Patch 4

VER340 D27.SYDNEY.        10.4.1.3     10.4.1 Sydney Patch 3

VER340 D27.SYDNEY.        10.4.1.2     10.4.1 Sydney Patch 2

VER340 D27.SYDNEY.        10.4.1.1     10.4.1 Sydney Patch 1

VER340 D27.SYDNEY.        10.4.1.0     10.4.1 RAD Studio Sydney Update 1

VER340 D27.SYDNEY.        10.4.0.0     RAD Studio 10.4 Sydney

This leads me to the rule for versioning:

Major     Release  Update   Patch

version   version   version   version
10.         4.            2.            2    

Where the 4 elements have the meaning:

Major   = is the major version
Release = is a kind of Minor version
Update = is a kind of kumulative, big Patch or Build

Patch    = is a kind of Build, as small patch, or inline release, or maybe build, where the numbering and naming can be not very consistent.

Patch can be a running number, no matter if the original patch number may differ.                 

VERnn0 = A combination of relocated running Major and Release, with the options to have a 3rd number for exotic reasons (not happened in the near past).

Is my understanding of the everchanging naming wilderness correct, to get a more consistent view about this?
At least for future releases.

The question will be, how to detect the Update and Patch parts by runtime correctly?
I think this is not consistently possible at all, and always will be a manual process, or a lot of hardcore trickery, by checking DLL versions or the like.

Edited by Rollo62
  • Like 1

Just for completeness, there are also some lists on version information on the Delphi Wiki:

https://delphi.fandom.com/wiki/Delphi_Release_Dates

https://delphi.fandom.com/wiki/CompilerVersion_Constant

https://delphi.fandom.com/wiki/Delphiversions.inc

https://delphi.fandom.com/wiki/RTLVersion_Constant

https://delphi.fandom.com/wiki/Borland_Compiler_Conditional_Defines

https://delphi.fandom.com/wiki/Delphi_Build_Numbers

I (and a few others) try to keep them more or less up to date, but I just noticed that some have lapsed again.

Having seen that there are other lists that seem to be better maintained I'm considering just pointing there instead.

The whole Wiki is mostly outdated anyway, the original maintainer(s) having disappeared.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1