PeterPanettone

Switching off automatic Bookmarks?

Several MMX actions automatically set Bookmarks in the source code or even set a mark where the ESC key jumps to another position in the source code. I find this extremely disturbing.

Where can I switch this OFF?

image.png.146b5ae62c56caebb3825706e8663529.png

image.png.a14b16162659958ff7e93a1542e58db3.png

Edited by PeterPanettone

In MMX Code Explorer properties look in General-Searching and History.

Here are the places I found where the "drop bookmark" feature can be switched off:

History:

image.thumb.png.e42e1c1a45b4dd33dd618e773231c98c.png

Searching:

image.png.5ddbd703097380fe53d069332f5c3d53.png

Did I miss any?

Is anyone using these dropped bookmarks?

Thanks for the other basic MMX features; they are very helpful!

Edited by PeterPanettone

59 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Did I miss any?

None that I am aware of.

1 hour ago, PeterPanettone said:

Is anyone using these dropped bookmarks?

Of course!

36 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Numbers?

0 < x < Number of MMX users

Proof:

1. I am using it, which proves the lower limit
  2. You are not using it, which proves the upper limit

Let alone that this number would give no usable insight, MMX could only add dropping these bookmarks to the usage report (which it doesn't). Using these bookmarks is an intrinsic IDE functionality which is not traced by MMX.

After all, it is optional. Since I took over MMX I had exactly one question on how to disable or change one of these bookmarks, because it interferes with another plugin. Yours is the second.

BTW, also since I took over MMX there has been no one sending any usage report (perhaps it just works on my tests but not in the wild), so I don't have any numbers of what people use most or least. While I would not drop any features based on such numbers, they would give me some hints of MMX features that may just be unknown and lack some promotion.

Peter, what's your point? If you don't like that feature, deactivate it. I use it often for navigation between extracted code and original position, so I find it very useful.

1 minute ago, ULIK said:

I use it often for navigation between extracted code and original position, so I find it very useful.

It's nice to hear that someone uses it.

To summarize, MMX is an extremely valuable and flexible addition to the Delphi developer's toolkit. I like the fact that you can switch off the bookmarks if you don't need them. Perhaps it would be helpful if the bookmarks were switched off by default during the initial installation.

On 9/11/2024 at 9:44 AM, PeterPanettone said:

Perhaps it would be helpful if the bookmarks were switched off by default during the initial installation.

I think it is more helpful that they are on by default. Once I noticed them, I went to MMX options to turn them off. I suspect many users wouldn't notice the option was available if they were not on by default.