Miguel Jr

Why does the field type change after saving the Table within the database?

As shown in the image above, when defining the table fields, the Numeric type is displayed with a size of 8 in the integer field and 2 in the decimal field. And after I save it and open it to insert data, it shows the Long type for the Value field, as shown, returning an error if I enter a decimal value. Why does this happen and how can I solve it? Can you help me?

Respectfully,

Miguel Archanjo Ferreira Duarte Júnior.

Captura de tela 2024-09-16 083424.png

Captura de tela 2024-09-16 083630.png

51 minutes ago, Miguel Jr said:

As shown in the image above, when defining the table fields, the Numeric type is displayed with a size of 8 in the integer field and 2 in the decimal field. And after I save it and open it to insert data, it shows the Long type for the Value field, as shown, returning an error if I enter a decimal value. Why does this happen and how can I solve it?

Why it happens: probably nobody knows, because nobody probably uses Database Desktop for SQL databases... Maybe someone in Borland would have known, but that company no longer exists.

And how to solve it: do not use Database Desktop for SQL Databases... It is only useful for working with Paradox databases and maybe DBase/FoxPro databases...

9 minutes ago, Virgo said:

Why it happens: probably nobody knows, because nobody probably uses Database Desktop for SQL databases... Maybe someone in Borland would have known, but that company no longer exists.

And how to solve it: do not use Database Desktop for SQL Databases... It is only useful for working with Paradox databases and maybe DBase/FoxPro databases...

I'm using Interbase. I don't understand why you're warning me. I'm following the book that I'm using. But anything you can tell me will be useful for my learning. Once again, it's not SQL, it's Interbase. But I'll pay attention to what you're telling me. If you can help me any further, I'll be grateful.

1 minute ago, Miguel Jr said:

I'm using Interbase. I don't understand why you're warning me. I'm following the book that I'm using. But anything you can tell me will be useful for my learning. Once again, it's not SQL, it's Interbase. But I'll pay attention to what you're telling me. If you can help me any further, I'll be grateful.

Interbase  is a SQL database. The book you are using seems to be very old, probably written for an ancient Delphi version like Delphi 7, which used the Borland Database Engine (BDE) for database access and the Database Desktop app for managing the database. This is about 20 years out of date; the BDE has not been offficially supported for more than a decade and it and its tools are difficult to install and get to work on Windows 10 or 11.

If you want to learn to program in Delphi get the free Delphi Community edition. It comes with a modern version of Interbase and allows you to build application using a local database. The IDE has an integrated database view that can be used for simple database management, but the Interbase installation has its own toolset, like ISQL, which you can use to execute DDL (Database Definition Language) scripts to manage the database.

12 minutes ago, PeterBelow said:

Interbase  is a SQL database. The book you are using seems to be very old, probably written for an ancient Delphi version like Delphi 7, which used the Borland Database Engine (BDE) for database access and the Database Desktop app for managing the database. This is about 20 years out of date; the BDE has not been offficially supported for more than a decade and it and its tools are difficult to install and get to work on Windows 10 or 11.

If you want to learn to program in Delphi get the free Delphi Community edition. It comes with a modern version of Interbase and allows you to build application using a local database. The IDE has an integrated database view that can be used for simple database management, but the Interbase installation has its own toolset, like ISQL, which you can use to execute DDL (Database Definition Language) scripts to manage the database.

I'm using Delphi 7, right. On a virtual machine with Windows 8.1. It's still accessible with this system. I still don't understand why this error is being given. In the most modern versions of Delphi there is no Database Desktop or anything that replaces it. Or is there? If there is, please tell me?

11 minutes ago, Miguel Jr said:

Or is there?

No, there isn't. It is no longer maintained and one of the reasons for its absence is what you are experiencing.

For InterBase you can use IBConsole.

It is really strange, that Delphi 7 book uses Database Desktop to manage Interbase database... Because DBExpress was introduced in Delphi 6 as a replacement for BDE . And even if you wanted to use BDE for Interbase, then even in Delphi 5 (I have no older versions to check, if they had also) there was Database Explorer, that was more useful with SQL databases...  And also, specifically for Interbase there where IBX components for database access. But I do not remeber, if there was any specific management interface. Although, there is always Interbase own isql.

9 minutes ago, Miguel Jr said:

So what replaces Database Desktop for creating tables and interacting with Interbase?

As I already mentioned: IBConsole

6 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

As I already mentioned: IBConsole

But how am I going to create tables in IBconsole if what was used for this was the Database Desktop?

3 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Have you actually tried reading the documentation?

What documentation? I don't read, write or speak English. To talk to you, I use Google Translate?

40 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Why don't you use it for the documentation? Do you expect me to copy paste it here?

I didn't understand your position.

1 hour ago, Miguel Jr said:

What documentation? I don't read, write or speak English. To talk to you, I use Google Translate?

Google Translate or DeepL are able to translate the documentation, too.

2 minutes ago, Vandrovnik said:

Google Translate or DeepL are able to translate the documentation, too.

Yes, but what documentation?

1 hour ago, Miguel Jr said:

Yes, but what documentation?

Edited by DelphiUdIT

In fact, after some setbacks, the problem may be in the operating system. The system I used in this virtual machine was Windows 8. Everyone knows that when Windows 8 came out, it was full of errors that Windows 8.1 corrected. I still haven't been able to run it with Windows 8.1. I still have to do that. I also have the original Windows DVD and serial number. In other words, I have a copy of the original Windows 8, but not Windows 8.1. And Microsoft has made the download unavailable on its website. I'm waiting for them to make the Windows 8.1 download available again. After all, it's still useful. Just to point out to anyone who might be guided by this topic.