Andrea Magni

Microsoft Team Foundation System and Delphi

Hi all, anyone here is using TFS for Delphi projects? I never used TFS but one of my newest customers has it as internal standard. 

Is there IDE plugins or integrations to work with TFS? 

If not, are there tools for using TFS outside VS? At the moment I am considering installing VS Community and use it just for the versioning stuff but I have no idea how this is feasible / handy... 

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks 

Andrea 

We use a very old version of TFS. I hate it. We're switching over to git, but one of our devs insists on using git like TFS, and he refuses to do any sort of branching. Perhaps the newer versions of TFS support branching.

But the only way we have of interacting with TFS is through VS. For git, there are tons of different interfaces, even VS. Delphi's IDE interface with git isn't very flexible.

For a minimal setup to use TFSV I suggest you use Team Explorer. It's basically just the VS shell with the TFS plugin.

Here's the download:

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/thank-you-downloading-visual-studio/?sku=TeamExplorer&rel=15#

And here's a brief intro of how to use it:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/user-guide/work-team-explorer?view=vsts

@David Schwartz TFSV has always supported branching. It just isn't very good at it - like everything else in TFS.

We use TFS with TFSV where I work ATM but I would gladly pay for JIRA licenses out of my own pocket if that would get them to switch away from TFS. It's horrible.

• Like 1

We are using Delphi, SourceTree and TFS (git repos and the web frontend). The TFS web frontend has improved a lot. It's a flexible and stable combination that works very well. 

We have a full CI/CD setup where the Delphi packages are handled using a ProGet server for the build process.