AndrewHoward

Delphi books

1 hour ago, AndrewHoward said:

Hi,
Which delphi books do you recommend ?
Thanks

It depends entirely on what you want to learn about. 

5 hours ago, AndrewHoward said:

Which delphi books do you recommend ?

What is your actual skills with Delphi? What kind of application do you want to write? Which platforms are you using?

I rate myself as an "intermediate-level" Delphi programmer (as compared to the experts I found in this forum; I also use C/C++,  .NET/C#/F#, FORTRAN).

The following is the list of Dephi books that I've collected over the years. These are all great books by great writers - I'd like to thank them all for their books accompanying my Delphi journey over the years. 

For Learners:

• Inside Delphi 2006 (Ivan Hlandi) -  the first Delphi book I read, by which I learned Delphi. I found this book very good for picking up Delphi.  It covers not only Delphi but C++ Builder (for cross referencing Delphi features).
  • Object Pascal Handbook (Marco Cantu, 2021) -  classic, and continuously updated, with the latest one being for Sydney 10.4.2. 
  • Delphi XE2 Foundations (Chris Rolliston, 2012) - a well written book covering the Delphi language and other aspects.

Comprehensive:

• Mastering Delphi 7 (Marco Cantu, 1996) -  classic of the classics.  Old but still relevant.  Of all of Marco's books, I think his "Master Delphi XXX" series are really well written, impeccable text-book style.
  • Expert Delphi (Pawel Glowacki, 2017) - another good Delphi book.
  • Delphi Cookbook (Daniele Teti, 2018) - cookbook style, and good as a desktop reference to check out the tips occasionally.
  • Delphi GUI Programming with FireMoney (Andrea Magni, 2021) - on the GUI programming using FMX, haven't finish reading it. Seems a comprehensive one.
  • Delphi in a Nutshell (Ray Lischner, 2000) - my favorite book.  Very well written, concise, and no non-sense.  I like the "nutshell" style. I really hope Oreilly could update this book to the recent Delphi editions.

For COM/ActiveX developing in Delphi:

• Delphi COM Programming (Eric Harmon, 2000) - the classic for Delphi COM programming.  Oldie but goodie. A must-have if you are still doing COM programming.

For Delphi Component Development:

• Delphi Component Design (Danny Thorpe, 1996) - the classic for component developers.  Oldie but goodie. The author is Danny Thorpe after all.  Even if you don't read it, you can save the book for the old times' sake.  A nostalgic item to keep.
  • Developing Custom Delphi 3 Components (Ray Konopka, 1997).  Old, but still relevant. Well-written.

For Database:

• Delphi in Depth - Client Dataset (Cary Jensen, 2014) - Not sure ClientDataSet is still a good option nowadays. But the book provides comprehensive coverage on ClientDataSet and its under-the-hood.
  • Delphi in Depth - FireDAC (Cary Jensen, 2015) -  a must-have if you want to learn FireDAC systematically.
  • Introducing Delphi ORM (John Kouraklis, 2019) - An interesting little book about ORM, with a focus on TMS Aurelius. 
  • Enterprise Delphi Database with mORMot (Erick Engelke, 2016) - the only book on mORMot (except mORMot's own manual).  Neither well-written, nor carefully proofread.  It can be useful before driving you lunatic with the various typos, typesetting errors, or out-of-no-where examples. Still appreciate the book for being the only mORMot book, though.

Multi-threading/Parallel Programming

• Parallel Programming with OmniTheadLibrary (Primoz Gabrijelcic, 2019) - A systematic book on the wonderful OmniThreadLibrary. 
  • Delphi Event-based and Asynchronously Programming (Dalija Prasnikar, 2020) - a very well written book on the subject.

Design Patterns

• Hands on Design Patterns with Delphi (Primoz Gabrijelcic, 2019) -  A very nice book of implementing various design patterns in Delphi.
  • Coding in Delphi, More Coding in Delphi, Dependency Injection in Delphi (Nick Hodges, 2015) - the three books by Nick Hodges on implementing design patterns in Delphi. Primarily about the Spring4D. The books have a very enthusiastic writing style,  together with a lot of filler jokes (not my style but I can appreciate Nick's enthusiasm trying to make things lighter and fun).
  • MVVM in Delphi (John Kouralkis, 2016) - a book on implementing MVVM in Delphi. The first couple of chapters are quite academic but interesting.

Delphi Performance/Memory Management/Algorithms

• Delphi High Performance (Primoz Gabrijelcic, 2018)  - a fairly unique book on writing performant Delphi code.
  • Delphi Memory Management (Dalija Prasnikar, 2018) - a very interesting book, well written too.
  • Delphi Algorithms and Data Structures (Julian Bucknall, 2001) - A unique book on algorithms and data structures in Delphi language.

Edited by wuwuxin
  • Like 6

I have these books. I think they are all free. I can send. I have only read a few:classic_sad:.

Baoquan Zuo Delphi Documentation Guidelines XML.pdf
Borland Database Application Developers Book Delphi.pdf
Breveglieri Marco Delphi Succinctly.pdf
Cantu Marco Delphi 2009 Handbook.pdf
Cantu Marco Object Pascal Handbook.pdf
Cantu Marco ObjectPascalHandbook BerlinVer.pdf
Cruysberghs Stefan Debugging techniques in Delphi.pdf
Doeraene Sébastien Generics with Delphi 2009 Win32.pdf
Gabrijelčič Primož Delphi High Perfomance.pdf
Glowacki Pawel Expert Delphi.pdf
Hodges Nick Coding In Delphi.pdf
Hodges Nick More Coding in Delphi.pdf
ObjectPascalHandbook SydneyVersion Complete.pdf
Sedgewick Robert Delphi - Algorithms.pdf
TsiLang Users Guide Lokalization application EN.pdf

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stano said:

I have these books. I think they are all free. I can send. I have only read a few:classic_sad:.

Baoquan Zuo Delphi Documentation Guidelines XML.pdf
Borland Database Application Developers Book Delphi.pdf
Cantu Marco Delphi 2009 Handbook.pdf
Cantu Marco Object Pascal Handbook.pdf
Cantu Marco ObjectPascalHandbook BerlinVer.pdf
Cruysberghs Stefan Debugging techniques in Delphi.pdf
Doeraene Sébastien Generics with Delphi 2009 Win32.pdf
Gabrijelčič Primož Delphi High Perfomance.pdf
Glowacki Pawel Expert Delphi.pdf
Hodges Nick Coding In Delphi.pdf
Hodges Nick More Coding in Delphi.pdf
ObjectPascalHandbook SydneyVersion Complete.pdf
Sedgewick Robert Delphi - Algorithms.pdf
TsiLang Users Guide Lokalization application EN.pdf

Not all free. Pretty galling for any of the authors of these books to read this post. 

• Like 3

I don't remember exactly which ones are paid. I definitely bought them. I don't have a document:classic_smile:

12 hours ago, Stano said:

Thanks for that link too, which links to a whole lot of succinctly free e-books, thats quite interesting.

I hope I don't misunderstand, you want to send the link to the sources, not the entire PDF's, of a copyrighted book ?

But many of the original sources for books you can find easily by searching after its name, so everybody can get them on his/her own, if needed.

Edited by Rollo62
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stano said:

I don't remember exactly which ones are paid. I definitely bought them. I don't have a document:classic_smile:

When you buy ebooks you are granted rights to read the book, not to send to others.

• Like 2

I am quite positive that some of the books you listed are not free. Even if you got them for free (some could have been distributed to Delphi subscribers as part of some marketing activity) that does not mean you are allowed to distribute the, Same goes for the books you purchased. You haven't bought right to distribute.

• Like 1

Cantu, Gabrielcic, Prasnikar... then Glowacki, Teti.

Edited by Guest
Added two notables.

12 hours ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

You haven't bought right to distribute.

I know it. I have always respected copyright law. This is true even now. I'm canceling the offer to send books for sure.
As written above: you can search for it on the internet.