karl Jonson

TortoiseGit with Delphi 10 Seattle

Hi all,

Anyone is using Delphi 10 Seattle with TortoiseGit ?

How did you setup your Git screen in Tools\Options\Version Control ?

If I add path\TortoiseGit.exe to Git Executable field Seattle hangs !

Thanks

image.thumb.png.649639bc5a33b75047ab49ba593ec80e.png 

I use Tortoise Git outside of the IDE. I work with private repositories on GitLab using SSL communications and found that the IDE support for Git would not support this transfer. I reported this

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-26560

So I now work on the cycle.

1) develop code using the IDE

2) Close project in the IDE

3) Commit and push using TortoiseGit (or do other actions - create merge request, check out different branch etc)

4) Reopen the project in the IDE

5) go back to item 1....

I find this works well for me. 

To some extent I can't see the point of Embarcadero trying to replicate the Git interface (in effect all the convenient things that TortoiseGit allows you to do) within the IDE. Unless they do a lot of work (ie handle all that TortoiseGit does) there are still going to be instances where you need to come out of the IDE to do Git related actions. So you might as well always use the cycle I have described.....

2 hours ago, Roger Cigol said:

1) develop code using the IDE

2) Close project in the IDE

3) Commit and push using TortoiseGit (or do other actions - create merge request, check out different branch etc)

4) Reopen the project in the IDE

5) go back to item 1....

2) and 4) surprised me much. I just call Tortoise's Commit and Log dialogs from IDE via Tools menu in any time and do Git stuff from there

• Like 2

Kinda hard to do proper multi-branch management from within the Delphi IDE.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

2) and 4) surprised me much. I just call Tortoise's Commit and Log dialogs from IDE via Tools menu in any time and do Git stuff from there

Frost.Brutal : how do you get this to work ? I don't have any tortoise git in my Tools menu (RAD Studio 11.1 patch 1 Enterprise)

2 hours ago, Roger Cigol said:

Frost.Brutal : how do you get this to work ? I don't have any tortoise git in my Tools menu (RAD Studio 11.1 patch 1 Enterprise)

Manually 🙂

image.thumb.png.7d38df421742cc31c7230fdc9b582c11.png

• Thanks 4

Frost.Brutal : Thanks for this instant manual on "how to configure tools" ! I had never really looked into this feature of the IDE and I can immediately see how it can be useful !

I found the only integration into the IDE I consider useful is the LiveBlame feature from VersionInsight.

• Like 1