Bill Meyer

Anyone using an open-source ORM?

Have been looking around at the open-source ORMs for Delphi. Some have gone away, some seem to have had no recent maintenance. InstantObjects 3.0 is in GetIt, but of the 5 demos I tried, only one would build.

I'd like to pursue this, but if there is no open-source solution in current maintenance, I will find better investments for my time.

It may sound irritating, but I don't use ORMs at all. Maybe that's because we usually don't have many things stuffed into relational databases, or maybe because this old article left a lasting impression: Object-Relational Mapping is the Vietnam of Computer Science (codinghorror.com). I have no proof, but that for the few times, it was more time-efficient to do it by hand than include a massive ORM library and learn how to use it properly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ertank said:

Since a new beginning, why not try https://github.com/synopse/mORMot2

If I just getting started with the ORM, I would use the one that has been around a long time and heavily tested.  V2 still has this in the readme:  "WARNING: This set of units is still a work-in-progress, and not yet ready for production."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Darian Miller said:

If I just getting started with the ORM, I would use the one that has been around a long time and heavily tested.  V2 still has this in the readme:  "WARNING: This set of units is still a work-in-progress, and not yet ready for production."

Yes, I noticed that. But now considering also the issues offered in the article on Coding Horror. The opportunity to explore is the motivator, but between those warnings and the finite time I have for such things, I may simply pass.

On 8/23/2022 at 4:38 PM, Bill Meyer said:

Yes, I noticed that. But now considering also the issues offered in the article on Coding Horror. The opportunity to explore is the motivator, but between those warnings and the finite time I have for such things, I may simply pass.

We now live in 2022 - the article dates back to 2004. Things have evolved in the meantime. Mormot is open source and does a good job. There are commercial products too, Aurelius to mention one, I personally know. There is a learning curve, but it´s worth.

• Like 1