Skrim

The software industry has moved to the Web, why?

2 hours ago, Skrim said:

Most developers are not capable of reviewing a program from the enduser's perspective

This is why you have a product team. A group of people that knows the problem domain, the IT technology, the operative side, the enduser side.

Summary

• There is no single one true solution
  • Change is inevitable
  • Adapt and overcome

2 hours ago, Stano said:

OT
I don't have any mental disorder. But I have yet to meet a person who understands my thinking. Some told me directly.
Simply, every person has a unique mindset. There is always something different from others. Some more and some less. I more.

If Einstein was diagnosed today, he'd be considered just another person with "high-functioning autism" that qualifies for "reasonable accommodations" by any employer because he had a officially diagnosed "mental disorder".

So I don't know why YOU would want to be screened. Or anybody else over 30. It really doesn't sound very appealing, does it?

There are probably thousands of Einsteins in the world who are doing incredible work and have never been screened for Asperger's or autism.

In fact, it's estimated that there are around one million Americans over 30 who have Asperger's and have never been screened.

This isn't a disease. It's not really even a "disorder". I'd say it's a GIFT. Except too many people get stuck on the "disorder" part, and the weird behaviors, and prefer to avoid us.

The BEST reason to get screened is because they put you through a battery of IQ tests that measure cognitive abilities on several different dimensions -- more than just the one number that the MENSA test doles out, which is sort of an average of all of them combined.

Oddly, most people are more comfortable talking about "mental disorders" than "IQ". Go figure. 😉 

The issue I have with the (not so new) browser approach is as follows: It promotes a browser monoculture. A little bit over 10 years ago IE was a must have in the corporate world, because all the renowned applications would run on it, and only it. No other browsers could be used, and therefore as soon as somebody wanted to browse the internet, in some companies they where forced to use IE, resulting in catastrophic security issues, because MS got lazy and complacent in their browser development. Everybody that counted needed it, and anybody that didn't like it didn't count. But this got so far that the fine people who developed browser based applications got just as lazy and complacent ("learning from MS means winning" and so forth), resulting in even worse applications, that only ran on specific IE versions. It was then that responsible IT departments had to allow the installation of other browsers, if only to allow for safe browsing. IE was the biggest target for malware by far.... I have taken a lunch break and noticed I drifted off.

So let me get back to the point. The only good reason for browser based applications is the zero install "feature". I admit, that is a tough one, for the usual Java, .net crowd what with their frameworks and version jungle and so forth. But for us Delphians? Come on! As I always say: monolithic applications rule! No need to install pesky frameworks, DLLs or other version dependent nuisance, just run it from a network share.

As for the current browser high. Do they really check if their applications work with all browsers in all OSes? Short answer is "No" which leads us to monoculture with all the bad things that entails.

to @David Schwartz

sorry about your personal problem, we all have one.  I'm not different.  

However, I think a book would be a healthy thing to write and cast out our ghosts.  

but if it makes you happy, keep going.  

King-WareZ 😋

Edited by programmerdelphi2k

@programmerdelphi2k I don't have a problem, what problem are you talking about? You had better either respond using quotes or address the person you would like to respond to directly. But posts like yours might very well lead to further misunderstandings.

to @Sherlock

not about you, no no...  it was about my msg to David.

it was not a offense, was just about msg size and details. 

• I didnt know about dicease sorry :classic_unsure:😪
Edited by programmerdelphi2k

15 hours ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

For me it's surprising that after so much time, most of the online solutions are quickly sluggish and awkward to use compared to desktop solutions.

It depends if the same developers or in charge people create web site and desktop/mobile softwares. 

On the other hand, I'm currently building something with Supabase as part of the backend (that's just postgreSQL with some fluff, like Auth around it), Frontend with vue.js and Quasar Framework, and it's almost RAD. Only deployment will be more complex. 

But with modern webservers like Caddy deploying a webserver with working TLS is no problem at all anymore. Funnily, while Caddy is Open Source it is sponsored by ZeroSSL, which in the end belongs to Idera nowadays.