Ian Branch

Open IDE in DPI Unaware??

Hi Team,

D11.3.1. Win 11.

When I double click on a Delphi file in Windows Explorer, it opens in Delphi IDE in DPI Aware mode.

Is there someway to make Windows or Delphi open the IDE in DPI Unaware mode when I double click on a Delphi file fromthe File Explorer?

Regards & TIA,

Ian

You can do that with the command line parameter "/highdpi:unaware". That won't work with just a double click from Explorer, though.

I have different links on my desktop to quickly choose between both behaviors.

14 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

An aside, but what would be the reasons for running the IDE dpi unaware?

Old Age, Eye Sight, etc.  🙂  The forms are too small for me to work with on 4k monitor when Delphi opens dpi aware.

8 minutes ago, Ian Branch said:

The forms are too small for me to work with on 4k monitor when Delphi opens dpi aware.

Yes, that is fair. I'm tempted to get a third monitor to run at 96dpi for that purpose!

37 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

Yes, that is fair. I'm tempted to get a third monitor to run at 96dpi for that purpose!

Do that. It's lots of fun discovering all the new bugs in the IDE that creep up in that scenario. For bonus points make the 96dpi monitor our main monitor.

8 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

You can do that with the command line parameter "/highdpi:unaware". That won't work with just a double click from Explorer, though.

Not even if you edit the Registry to add that command-line parameter to the file association that launches the IDE?

That may indeed be possible, but will probably turn out a bit tedious. It also doesn't have the flexibility to choose between both options.

A more simple way could be to edit the compatibility settings for bds.exe and force high dpi support to one of the System values, but that also misses the flexibility.

My personal favorite are the mentioned desktop links. Not only does it allow to quickly start Delphi in the desired mode, also dragging a Delphi file onto one of those also opens the file with the appropriate settings. Besides the dpi selection, I use this scheme for quite a while to handle different registry keys for Delphi.

One could also register a different program that simply calls bds.exe with the desired parameter.

Edited by dummzeuch

On 4/14/2023 at 10:50 PM, Uwe Raabe said:

A more simple way could be to edit the compatibility settings for bds.exe and force high dpi support to one of the System values, but that also misses the flexibility.

This turned out to make the Object Inspector unusable - better don't try this.