Remy Lebeau

Splitting up quotes doesn't work anymore

Has anyone else noticed that lately, when quoting a message in a reply, then placing the cursor inside the quote and pressing Enter a few times, no longer splits up the quote into 2 quotes with editable whitespace between them?  It used to do this, and it was a very handy feature, but lately it hasn't been working for me, and it makes replying to quotes much more difficult.  Now I have to do a lot of copy/pasting and dragging around of quotes to get the same result that inserting Enters used to accomplish.

Interesting. Just recently someone in the German forum claimed that as a welcomed feature here.

Edited by Uwe Raabe

Quoting is indeed rather tedious.

But a workaround for this might be the possibility to write an answer and select blocks from the original post and then click quote selection. Works pretty good, and will give you the result you wanted, without all the Copypasta.

5 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Quoting is indeed rather tedious.

Didn't used to be 😞  Used to be able to just quote an entire message and then break it up as I address each part of it.  I can still accomplish that, but it's several more steps now, so more tedious, but I'm getting the hang of it.  Still has some ugly quirks, though.

But a workaround for this might be the possibility to write an answer and select blocks from the original post and then click quote selection.

I suppose so.  Other forums have that option.  Would like the original functionality back, though.  But this added as a new separate feature could be useful, too.

Works pretty good, and will give you the result you wanted, without all the Copypasta.

Depends on how big the selections are.  Quoting a few sentences, sure.  Quoting paragraphs/code snippets, maybe not so much, if you have to scroll to make the selection.

For years I asked me how are you doing this. Now i know. :classic_laugh:

Then I found a solution that I supposed you are using: if you still see the message that you want to quote after starting your message then you can go to that post, insert the text and press "Quote selection". It will insert the quote where the cursor is in you new message.

I have not tried if this works going back on an other page.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Cristian Peța said:

Then I found a solution that I supposed you are using

I was not aware of that option.  Or maybe I was but wasn't using it.  I just now tried it and it works, so I guess I'll start using it 😉