alogrep

New mystery of freezing IDE.

Hi.

Delphi 11.3.

Open an existing project, press DEL Key twice (to delete 2 letters) and the IDE goes fishing: keystrokes or mouse totally disabled. 
Need taskbar to end it. 
Anybody experienced this?
Funny thing: I put IDE in the serach of this newsgroup and get zero results.

1 minute ago, alogrep said:

Open an existing project, press DEL Key twice (to delete 2 letters) and the IDE goes fishing: keystrokes or mouse totally disabled. 

Either there's a step missing between opening an existing project and pressing the DEL key, or it just doesn't happen for me.

8 hours ago, alogrep said:

Funny thing: I put IDE in the serach of this newsgroup and get zero results.

The forum search requires single words to be at least 4 letters. Sorry, there is not much to do about it. You can try searching less broad by using more than one keyword i.e. "IDE freeze"

A common issue is network paths that are no longer valid. The IDE often tries to access such paths multiple times and doesn't handle waiting on the network timeout very well (it tends to freeze while waiting). If the server name in the path resolves but there is never any response the network timeout can be 10-30 seconds or more each time it tries to access the path. The freeze happening after you do some typing suggest code completion / IDE insight is scanning source paths and one or more of them are not accessible. 

Systinternals has some utilities like Process Monitor that might help in showing what the IDE is trying to access when the freeze happens. 

10 hours ago, alogrep said:

press DEL Key twice

When the Num Lock is set the DEL key adds a period . which can be backed out of with a control-z or two.     

The steps are simple.

Only one project is affected.

I laucnh this project, in the Project source page I clik a few keys (whatever they are, DEL, Back space or letters) and the IDE freezes.

There is no network mapppong, at list Net Use shows none.

Problem somewhat solved;

Perhaps this was the culprit: I had 320 Units listed in the uses section of the Project. I removed abut 1/2 of then and added the relatives paths to the Search path.

When I saved the project something from Embarcadero came up, I filled in all the fields anc I sent it.

I hope the errors shown in error_list.txt got to them, so they can fix the bug

error_list.txt

error.png

message.jpg

Brian Evans

It produced a report that is in erro_list,txt that I re-send now.

I just kept answering the prompts taht came up from embarcadero. I had assumed the report was gonna be sent automatically.

error_list.txt

For very simple errors crash reports with stack traces can help. For corner cases not often seen in something as large and complex as the Delphi IDE a way to reproduce the problem on demand is usually needed to make any progress. Often the actual coding or logic error is far removed from where the crash occurs.