Jonah Jeleniewski

SonarDelphi v1.0.0 released!

We are pleased to announce the release of SonarDelphi v1.0.0.

SonarDelphi is a free and open-source Delphi language plugin for the SonarQube code quality platform.

GitHub: https://github.com/integrated-application-development/sonar-delphi

Release: https://github.com/integrated-application-development/sonar-delphi/releases/tag/v1.0.0

Background 

If you're thinking "I've seen this before", you're probably right!

• SonarDelphi was originally open-sourced by Sabre Airline Solutions in 2012.
  • It's bounced from maintainer to maintainer on GitHub (including Embarcadero).
  • This project is a greatly improved version that has been actively developed (and extensively rewritten) by IntegraDev for the last 4 years.

Features

• Powerful semantic analysis
  • 120+ analysis rules
  • Custom rules via templates or a programmatic java API
  • Import NUnit test reports (compatible with DUnitX)
  • Import test coverage reports (compatible with DelphiCodeCoverage)

Feedback and contributions are welcome!

Edited by Sherlock
Fixed link casing per posters request
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Looks interesting but then I went to the SonarQube site to see what their commercial terms were like and...

image.thumb.png.766f9bd5d1d0142d32aead317b12d6a3.png

Of course, given that they don't even list prices and that I had to Google for them, I guessed that much.

OpenSource only then, I guess.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

Looks interesting but then I went to the SonarQube site to see what their commercial terms were like and...

image.thumb.png.b4caaccabf7411254c9498cf450fd485.png

Indeed, there are 3 commercial editions of SonarQube (Developer / Enterprise / Data Center).
The commercial editions come with some nice extras, but I've never had any serious need for them - even in an enterprise environment.

OpenSource only then, I guess.

I'm of a similar mindset, so I would recommend the free and open-source Community Edition😀

Edited by Jonah Jeleniewski

2 hours ago, Anders Melander said:

Like with all Cloud services, before diving deeper into whats their technical details and purposes, I ALWAYS check their pricing terms first.
In most cases, this is a real showstopper for me and this early pricing evaluation saves a lot of my time.

Regarding SonarCube, they have the worst terms I have seen since many years, clearly a winner for the golden lemon :classic_biggrin:

16 minutes ago, Rollo62 said:

Like with all Cloud services (...)

Not to detract from your point here, just wanted to note that Community edition isn't a cloud service - it's a free self-hosted application.
In other words, you're not under SonarSource's thumb when using it.

• Like 3

This is very interesting project, only problem for me is that there is so big dependencies. For some that is not problem, I get that.

As now it seems that FixInsight is abandonware, I have been thinking that community would start project of our own, that would be made with pure delphi without extra dependencies.

-Tee-

3 hours ago, Tommi Prami said:

... As now it seems that FixInsight is abandonware, ...

<OT>

From where do you get that impression?

You are right, TMS FixInsight seems a little outdated
https://www.tmssoftware.com/site/fixinsight.asp?s=history

but I'm waiting for the coming D12 update anytime soon.

Do you have other informations, regarding TMS Insights future?

</OT>

23 hours ago, Rollo62 said:

<OT>

From where do you get that impression?

You are right, TMS FixInsight seems a little outdated
https://www.tmssoftware.com/site/fixinsight.asp?s=history

but I'm waiting for the coming D12 update anytime soon.

Do you have other informations, regarding TMS Insights future?

</OT>

Sent many emails past 2 years, to support of:
  - Known issues/bugs
  - About next release
  - Feature requests 

And sent direct question to TMS sales about FixInsight, is there going top be new version, and about the same message to their support forum thingy.

No response, what so ever. Nothing. Not even hello, we have received your message. Absolutely nothing... We have been paid customer from the start (about)...

-Tee-

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Featurewise - how does Peganza Pascal Expert hold up to TMS FixInsight?

Don't know about Peganza Expert, i have an old expired Peganza Analyzer, but if the Expert have 1/5 of the Analyzer features, then it is x10 time than anything else, i mean anything and all, it should be part of the IDE decades ago.

My last comparison was a few years ago. At that time they were almost on par.

Personally I prefer Pascal Expert, but mostly because it works similar to its companion Pascal Analyzer, which also provides a command line tool usable for build integration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Peganza's tools are much better than Fix Inisight.  You can start with their Expert but expand into their Pascal Analyzer product which is very in-depth.

On 11/24/2023 at 8:33 PM, Darian Miller said:

Peganza's tools are much better than Fix Inisight.  

Could you give couple examples in what way those are better.

Better or not often is a matter of preference and personal needs.

I for myself already gave a hint before: The availability of a stand alone and command line tool are a big plus for me.

Side note: I have licenses for and actually worked with both, which helps to make a less biased comparison.

12 hours ago, Tommi Prami said:

Could you give couple examples in what way those are better.

There are a few major reasons:

- Peganza is the number one expert at static code analysis of Delphi code.  They have been doing it for over 20 years now.  

- FixInsight just cannot match Pascal Expert's (PEX) depth of coverage.  Compare the number of flags for each and you'll find a very large difference.

- FixInsight is part of Peganza's main toolset and is very actively maintained.  Simply compare PEX version history:  https://peganza.com/history_pex.html  to FixInisight: https://www.tmssoftware.com/site/fixinsight.asp?s=history

- PEX is $89 and FixInsight is about $115.  

If you want to dig deeper, get Peganza's free "Pascal Analyzer Lite" product.  And if you want the widest available static source analysis of your Delphi code, get Peganza's "Pascal Analyzer" product as it has more info that you'd probably ever actually fully utilize.  

The one downside for the PEX vs Fix Insight comparison is a command line option, which is available in the more expensive "Fix Insight Pro" product but not in Pascal Expert.  However, it is available in Pascal Analyzer so if that's a requirement then I'd get Pascal Analyzer + Pascal Expert in their bundled offering.

I had an All-Access subscription to TMS for the last few years I have used both products and while they are both nice tools, Pascal Expert just seems to be a very large step ahead of Fix Insight in all ways except the command-line option (but I also have Pascal Analyzer so it wasn't an issue for me.)  But, they had a huge head-start as they are using the 20+ year old heavily improved/tweaked Pascal Analyzer engine to generate their warnings.

In my opinion, every Delphi developer should use the stand alone and command-line driven "Pascal Analyzer" tool in their development process.  In addition, to help reduce introducing new issues, everyone should utilize either of these IDE plugin: Pascal Expert or Fix Insight.  I would also highly suggest purchasing the All Access subscription from TMS as they are probably the number one component developer for Delphi and they have been pushing out an enormous amount of updates for all their products (seemingly excluding Fix Insight but I assume that is because it was a purchased product.)  The amount of code you get from their All Access subscription is amazing.  While other component developers have went idle or closed, TMS seems to have hit the accelerator lately.

For a little more info, here's my review of Pascal Expert 

https://ideasawakened.com/post/product-review-pascal-expert

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Darian Miller said:

If you want to dig deeper, get Peganza's free "Pascal Analyzer Lite" product.  And if you want the widest available static source analysis of your Delphi code, get Peganza's "Pascal Analyzer" product as it has more info that you'd probably ever actually fully utilize.  

Maybe need to evaluate it a and migrate to that.

Few years ago when I looked at PEX, it seemed to have tons of not that important checks, which seemed not that useful at the time.  

Need to actually evaluate it. Thanks for info...

-Tee-

I've used Peganza Analyzer every time I had to get to know a new code base.

Now, I haven't changed jobs for a long time - so the last license I have is for PA v. 4.x.

Perhaps it is time to get the Expert? Then again - I write a lot less Delphi code these days, as work pushes me in different directions.

• Like 1

Peganza and pascal expert is great products. I  use them both in my daily work to ensure quality!

• Like 1