PeterPanettone

Delphi 12: Install Packages inconsistency?

When NO PROJECT is loaded in the Delphi 12 IDE, the menu item Component -> Install Packages opens this window:

image.thumb.png.26ac479c32443b3e7ca0e66aa9f16fa6.png

But when any project is loaded in the Delphi 12 IDE, the menu item Component -> Install Packages opens another window:

image.thumb.png.e8ca8fc439b406c7df908f8681b405d7.png

Why are there different windows for the Install Packages menu item?

Also, when searching from the SearchBox in the second version of the window (when a project is loaded in the IDE), the Project Options are searched (and not the Install Packages items):

image.thumb.png.6d6d4ceb5b02de179e0f46a64cd4e9a9.png

Can anybody confirm this?

Edited by PeterPanettone

That's actually the same frame which is shown in these two dialogs. If a project is loaded, you are viewing and possibly changing the project's configuration. If no project is loaded, you are viewing and changing the default packages loaded by the IDE without a project and for new projects. As far as I remember that has always been the case.

(Or I might have misunderstood you.)

21 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

That's actually the same frame which is shown in these two dialogs. If a project is loaded, you are viewing and possibly changing the project's configuration. If no project is loaded, you are viewing and changing the default packages loaded by the IDE without a project and for new projects. As far as I remember that has always been the case.

(Or I might have misunderstood you.)

Thanks for the information - I've never noticed the difference.

But when I uncheck a package in the second version of the window (when a project is loaded) and then close the project (Close All), it remains unchecked even in the first version (when no project is loaded).

Shouldn't the Project Options of a specific project not influence the general configuration of installed packages?

Edited by PeterPanettone

I think I've found the bug: When executing File -> Close ALL, the Package configuration remains the same as the last loaded project.

Only when creating a new project does it return to the default Package configuration. This is a real inconsistency!

On 12/4/2023 at 3:27 AM, PeterPanettone said:

Only when creating a new project does it return to the default Package configuration. This is a real inconsistency!

I disagree. No reason for the IDE to load packages if they won't be needed by my next action. My next action could be closing the IDE or loading a different project that also does not use all of the default packages.

The only issue that occurs to me is if my next action was to create a new form, without loading or starting a project first. In that case, I may be confused why a package is not loaded that I would expect to be loaded.

But I wouldn't want to change the design or code of a form without having a project loaded. There is a lot of IDE functionality unavailable in that scenario.

9 hours ago, JonRobertson said:

No reason for the IDE to load packages if they won't be needed by my next action.

The 'Install Packages' window is not directly connected with "your next action." The list in that window should display the CURRENT state of the available packages (which should return to its DEFAULT state when the project is closed). This is LOGICAL and consistent as this list also reflects the available packages when a project is opened.

It would have the drawback that packages are loaded and unloaded again when the same project (or another with the same package requirements) is opened next. So the current implementation may just be some sort of performance optimization.

IMHO, it is sufficient when there are no packages missing after the next project is loaded or a new one created.

Can you explain what practical benefits the requested behavior would have?

21 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Can you explain what practical benefits the requested behavior would have?

I can answer that, the stability and responsiveness of the GUI edit (Form Editor) and switching between it unit editor will be visible, this will slow and delay the need to restart IDE to get it responsive.

If a project doesn't use DevArt Unidac, then disabling will help, this goes for all the big libraries, and most notably LiveBindings, that thing has its heavy impact on the GUI editor.

2 hours ago, Kas Ob. said:

then disabling will help

Actually that looks like a reason to keep the current behavior instead of implementing the proposed one:

4 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

The list in that window should display the CURRENT state of the available packages (which should return to its DEFAULT state when the project is closed).

• Like 3

22 hours ago, JonRobertson said:

No reason for the IDE to load packages if they won't be needed by my next action.

Agreed! Something that is really annoying me since installing 12.0 is when I double-click on a .pas/.cpp file outside of the IDE, and the IDE is not running yet, the IDE is started, but it wastes time loading all of its default packages and layouts, and then opens the .pas/.cpp file, and then finally goes to the Welcome screen instead of the .pas/.cpp file.  Loading the packages, the Structure view, the Palette, etc is all completely unnecessary and the Welcome screen is completely unwelcomed when I just want to view a file.  I expect the IDE to basically just present me with the code editor and nothing else.  If I want the full IDE experience, I'll open the full IDE myself, or at least open/create a project and expect the IDE to (re)load everything it needs to support that task.

Edited by Remy Lebeau
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2023 at 11:02 AM, Remy Lebeau said:

Something that is really annoying me since installing 12.0 is when I double-click on a .pas/.cpp file outside of the IDE, and the IDE is not running yet, the IDE is started, but it wastes time loading all of its default packages and layouts, and then opens the .pas/.cpp file, and then finally goes to the Welcome screen instead of the .pas/.cpp file.  Loading the packages, the Structure view, the Palette, etc is all completely unnecessary and the Welcome screen is completely unwelcomed when I just want to view a file

That's why I changed the default Windows "open" action for .PAS files to just open them up in my text editor. I use Delphi to open projects and source files from within Delphi for programming and compiling but when just viewing something, I use a text editor. Most decent text editors (excluding Windows Notepad, of course) these days have syntax highlighting and while it may not be like what I have in Delphi, it's good enough for just looking at some code real quick.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2023 at 1:02 PM, Remy Lebeau said:

Agreed! Something that is really annoying me since installing 12.0 is when I double-click on a .pas/.cpp file outside of the IDE, and the IDE is not running yet, the IDE is started, but it wastes time loading all of its default packages and layouts, and then opens the .pas/.cpp file, and then finally goes to the Welcome screen instead of the .pas/.cpp file.  Loading the packages, the Structure view, the Palette, etc is all completely unnecessary and the Welcome screen is completely unwelcomed when I just want to view a file.  I expect the IDE to basically just present me with the code editor and nothing else.  If I want the full IDE experience, I'll open the full IDE myself, or at least open/create a project and expect the IDE to (re)load everything it needs to support that task.

You could probably change the .PAS extension to load RAD Studio with a different environment established - basically no packages by passing in an laternate registry key and 'np' for no welcome page...so it could probably be close to what you want.

11 hours ago, Darian Miller said:

You could probably change the .PAS extension to load RAD Studio with a different environment established - basically no packages by passing in an laternate registry key and 'np' for no welcome page...so it could probably be close to what you want.

Sure, but I shouldn't really have to go to that much trouble in the first place just to get basic behavior.

13 hours ago, Remy Lebeau said:

Sure, but I shouldn't really have to go to that much trouble in the first place just to get basic behavior.

To be fair, I believe it's always been this way and you are asking for new behavior and if it's something that can be achieved for those that want this behavior with a manual tweak to the setup, then there a lot bigger fish in the ocean of Quality Portal.  

• Like 2