Uwe Raabe

Quality Portal going to be moved

22 minutes ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

They most likely stayed with JIRA because their internal system also uses JIRA and even moving that internal JIRA to the cloud was significant effort

I have migrated countless JIRA instances from server to cloud and it has never been "a significant effort". The only problem I can think of is if they had modified their server so much that it couldn't be migrated automatically.

26 minutes ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

Yes, JSM sucks big time, but this is because Atlassian made subpar product. 

Indeed. Normally this wouldn't be that big of an issue as lack of features and bug are to be expected, this being a relatively new product. But the problem with Atlassian is that the suckage only ever increases. I think they hate their users.

Eventually Github will eat their lunch.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

I have migrated countless JIRA instances from server to cloud and it has never been "a significant effort". The only problem I can think of is if they had modified their server so much that it couldn't be migrated automatically.

I don't know the details of their setup or the migration process, but it definitely took much longer than it was initially expected. If I remember correctly this coincided with the server outage, so it is possible that this also had an impact.

52 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

But the problem with Atlassian is that the suckage only ever increases.

This is right on the mark.

Posted (edited)

Delphi is already problematic when it comes to quality control. The new system is so mind-bogglingly horrible that the friction to post a new bug report is even greater than it used to be. And now we can't even vote for issues that matter to us, so Embacadero has no objective signal on what to focus on. This is not good for the future of Delphi.

I knew an ISV developer who made pretty decent Windows utilities who would go out of his way to hide feedback mechanisms in his software. He would hide contact details behind a menu item only accessible from the form's system menu, so only the most determined people would ever find it. He just didn't want to deal with customers.

This reminds me of that. The new QA is so irritating to use that I just don't even go there. The old one sucked bigtime, but it was at least usable enough that I would try. Now I am not even bothering.

Edited by Brandon Staggs
  • Like 3

It's disappointing for sure.   Your support tool is a very visible representative of your company and your product.  This is what they choose to represent their product.  They had years of being out of date on their hosted JIRA so it didn't need to be a quick decision.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Darian Miller said:

it didn't need to be a quick decision.

Perhaps the server outage made it one.

FYI, the server outage and the JIRA migration were totally unrelated (they happened at the same time, one scheduled the other not). Atlassian has discontinued the self hosted JIRA servers, the only option is going forward it to use the hosted system (or stay on an old not-secure and not-supported version). I don't want to discuss Atlassian offers and pricing, but given the 20 years of JIRA for our team work and bug tracking we decided to stay on it. This wasn't just one instance of JIRA, it was two separate installations with an extremely complex amount of automation and many plugins not supported by the cloud version.

The limitations in JSM (Jira customers portal) are significant. We are going some extra mile around them (like sharing reports among customers). There is a lack of voting, but comments can be added. The UI is odd, but searching is not bad. We kept the system as open as possible and are open to additional suggestions, in the realms of what JSM (https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-management) can do (ie, not much).

Also, keep in mind that Embarcadero support comes from our support team, not just the bug reporting system. And PMs are always happy to engage in conversations.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1