PeterPanettone

Showing TMenuItem icons at design time in the IDE

Posted (edited)

When displaying a TPopupMenu at design time in the Delphi IDE Menu Designer, no menu icons are displayed (although they are assigned):

image.png.8d13e48061444c724c11476a50ecd70a.png

Is this impossible in principle, or is it a failure of the Embarcadero Delphi IDE developers? I.e, should I file a Quality Portal report?

Edited by PeterPanettone

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Lajos Juhász said:

You can file a new feature request at QP. 

Do you mean it is not impossible in principle? (Maybe there is a fundamental law of physics that forbids showing an icon in the Menu Designer?) 😎

Edited by PeterPanettone

13 minutes ago, Lajos Juhász said:

I see no reason why it was not implemented yet. 

Do you mean it was negligence by the IDE programmers at Embarcadero?

3 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

Do you mean it was negligence by the IDE programmers at Embarcadero?

Submit a feature request

20 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

When displaying a TPopupMenu at design time in the Delphi IDE Menu Designer, no menu icons are displayed (although they are assigned):

image.png.8d13e48061444c724c11476a50ecd70a.png

Is this impossible in principle, or is it a failure of the Embarcadero Delphi IDE developers? I.e, should I file a Quality Portal report?

Do you use the Bitmap property of the menu items or have you attached an imagelist to the popup menu and used the  imageindex property of the menu items? The latter is the way to go these days.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PeterBelow said:

Do you use the Bitmap property of the menu items or have you attached an imagelist to the popup menu and used the  imageindex property of the menu items? The latter is the way to go these days.

I use both. In neither case are the icons shown in the Menu Designer.

Why are you asking?

Edited by PeterPanettone

AFAIK, the Delphi IDE Menu Designer did never support images.

1 hour ago, Uwe Raabe said:

AFAIK, the Delphi IDE Menu Designer did never support images.

You are right. Even cavemen never used cars until one of them invented the wheel.

I don't think it is "displaying a TPopupMenu at design time" but is a custom form used to design menus. Works fine for the biggest requirements: add menu items and show their relation to each other. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Brian Evans said:

I don't think it is "displaying a TPopupMenu at design time" but is a custom form used to design menus. Works fine for the biggest requirements: add menu items and show their relation to each other. 

You are correct, as the so-called "Menu Designer" only manages references to the TMenuItem objects of a TPopupMenu in the same way the Actions List Editor does not display Actions but refers to a List of TAction objects.

But then they should not call it "Menu Designer" but MENU CONSTRUCTOR.

But wouldn't a REAL Menu Designer that shows the MenuItem icons be great? Or is this beyond the capabilities of the Embarcadero development team?

Thomas: wink-wink...

Edited by PeterPanettone

23 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Or is this beyond the capabilities of the Embarcadero development team?

It seems beyond your ability to not be obnoxious. I don't see a point in continuing to converse who you.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Brian Evans said:

It seems beyond your ability to not be obnoxious. I don't see a point in continuing to converse who you.

So why did you post this message? It is logically inconsistent.

17 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

So why did you post this message?

Maybe ask yourself that question from time to time. These threads aren't really improving the SNR here.

15 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

Maybe ask yourself that question from time to time. These threads aren't really improving the SNR here.

As with all such questions, there are many levels or perspectives from which to view this issue. Of course, it's tempting to take the most comfortable position, especially if your fellow club members are already on that branch.

35 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

As with all such questions, there are many levels or perspectives from which to view this issue. Of course, it's tempting to take the most comfortable position, especially if your fellow club members are already on that branch.

mentally-ill-man-talks-to-himself-young-man-with-schizophrenia-talking-to-himself-in-front-of-the-mirror-video.thumb.jpg.92007f60f615a68d4cf252b83a04015c.jpg

This entire thread is utterly pointless. Just submit a feature request. Yapping here won't change anything. Or are you just here for the yapping? 

In my opinion all is said.

@PeterPanettone

Just submit a feature request.

It has nothing to do with "lacking abilities" of the developers but priorities for development

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2