microtronx

Best components for creating windows service apps

I'm attempting a new release of DDService adding support for XE7 and later. 

Collected original SvcMgr.pas files from all versions if Delphi, think I have to update each new one to DDSvMrg,pas and then create DIFF files using WinMerge.  Not too hard, since there is only a single service bug fix (quoting image path) in 15 years and Arno fixed that in 2008. 

But are there any other service handler bugs in DDService that should be fixed for a new release?

I also want to add an example of how to use DDService for dual GUI/service , there is a demo CombiService on my system but not tried it and not sure where it came from  Has anyone done this with DDService?

Angus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2019 at 8:15 AM, microtronx said:

Thanks for your tips, will think about creating a class for all logic.

Has someone used SvCom in the past; are the components still supported?

Long time ago yes. 

But it's quite possible and fairly easy to do mostly what it does (in respect of having a single app that can have GUI or run as service) with just a bit of code rearrangement needed, kind of similar to what aehimself has done.

(One service here compiles as APPTYPE CONSOLE/will run as service by default, however it can "convert" itself on startup into a GUI app (which it does by calling FreeConsole() and then creating a main form in the normal way) if it finds a command line switch telling it to do so (e.g. -ui).  Otherwise it will start in the normal way as a service app by setting and calling the usual stuff that's called for a service app (e.g. CoInitFlags, SvcMgr.Application.Initialize(),  SvcMgr.Application.CreateForm() and  finally SvcMgr.Application.Run().  etc)

I've completed a new release of DDService Application Framework from the late Arno Garrels, it now supports Delphi 5, 7 and 2006 to XE8, 10 Seattle, 10.1 Berlin, 10.2 Tokyo and 10.3 Rio, as well as C++ Builder 2006 to XE5. Note that bugs fixed in these new releases had already been done in DDService.  Also added new unit to control, install and remove Windows Service applications.

The new and old versions may be downloaded from https://www.magsys.co.uk/delphi/ddservice.asp or from an SVN repository at: http://svn.magsys.co.uk:8443/svn/ddservice/ , use username = ics and password = ics for read access.

Angus

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

:classic_blush: Am I the one who doesn't see download link on that page?

There is a link to a svn-Repository

And a link to the download page top left, with the words Download Latest DDService. 

There are no zips on the open Delphi pages because Google blacklists my site when it finds Delphi components.

Angus

Wow, now I see it. The left column was completely overlooked by me.

1 hour ago, Angus Robertson said:

There are no zips on the open Delphi pages because Google blacklists my site when it finds Delphi components.

:classic_wacko: That's apparently an evil conspiracy of Google against Delphi!

That's apparently an evil conspiracy of Google against Delphi!

Or the automated Google scan tools were finding something in one of the components or OpenSSL binaries that has been used in a malicious application somewhere, unfortunately they don't tell you anything specific, just that your site is banned in all browsers until you remove your malicious file, so it's trial and error. 

Angus

@Angus Robertson Thanks for your work, I really appreciate it.

A small remark, you left a bunch of:

<DllSuffix>20</DllSuffix>

'es in the new project files. Should match the product version.

Edited by Attila Kovacs

Thanks, I'll update the DllSuffixes for the next release of Delphi.  I added support for DDService in Delphi 10.4 last summer.

Angus

• Thanks 3