dummzeuch

Delphi 6 all of a sudden wants to be activated

I always thought that activation as optional for up to Delphi 7. Now my previously working Delphi 6 installation wants to be registered again. I'm using a valid registration key for Delphi 6 professional. Selecting "I will register at a later time", which always worked, no longer does. WTF?

(I blame a Windows 10 "feature" update).

Until I have resolved this issue, I can no longer test or debug anything for Delphi 6.

Any hints?

(Fortunately Delphi 7 still works)

WTF? Now it simply starts again!

I hate it when problems go away without finding out what the cause was.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

WTF? Now it simply starts again!

I hate it when problems go away without finding out what the cause was.

Especially if our own code is doing things like this. God, how many hours we already spent debugging something which only triggers when several, rare conditions are met 🙂

• Sad 1

I know you said your issue when away, but for anyone else searching for this I was able to resolve it by editing my registry.

Deleting the REG_BINARY LM key from Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Borland\Delphi\6.0 resolved my issue.

Edited by pmos

On 9/5/2020 at 11:47 AM, dummzeuch said:

I always thought that activation as optional for up to Delphi 7. Now my previously working Delphi 6 installation wants to be registered again. I'm using a valid registration key for Delphi 6 professional. Selecting "I will register at a later time", which always worked, no longer does. WTF?

(I blame a Windows 10 "feature" update).

Until I have resolved this issue, I can no longer test or debug anything for Delphi 6.

Any hints?

(Fortunately Delphi 7 still works)

Same thing has happened to me...  unfortunately no apparent work around.  Tried the suggestion from @pmos

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Darian Miller said:

Same thing has happened to me...  unfortunately no apparent work around.  Tried the suggestion from @pmos

And of course... after a few attempts at twiddling the registry, it works.  Not sure what fixed it..

• Confused 1

Weekend project - update my "All Versions" VM for the last couple releases.   One VM and all versions working again after a brief unexplained Delphi 6 license hiccup..    Removed a few excess VMs so I can have one old-version VM and one that I use daily with the latest-release.

allversions.thumb.png.b35c20e993c45b19e3bb588dcb1a5bd7.png

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 7:03 PM, Darian Miller said:

One VM and all versions working again

I'm going to have nightmares about your VM tonight. This feels like a worthy goal and a horrible nightmare waiting to happen. Too much Delphi mixed all together can't be good. You know that old urban legend where you say "Bloody Mary" three times in a mirror in a dark room and a ghost appears in the mirror? I fear that if you add three more copies of Delphi to your VM and turn out the lights you'll see a faint image of David Intersimone burned into your monitor.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Joseph MItzen said:

I fear that if you add three more copies of Delphi to your VM and turn out the lights you'll see a faint image of David Intersimone burned into your monitor.

LOL.   I have kept up this VM for a while and no apparitions just yet.  I actually want to install DOS Box and put the TurboPascal versions on there but haven't gotten around to it.  It does come in handy when trying to figure out what version some method/feature was added to Delphi.  I recently created a new repo and added every \Source folder but there are a number of file moves which makes version control history a bit difficult.  

10 minutes ago, Darian Miller said:

It does come in handy when trying to figure out what version some method/feature was added to Delphi.

I used to have a whole bunch of separate VMs for each IDE release going back many years, then I lost them all in a total system crash, and I didn't have backups of them at the time.  But I did have backup copies of just the \Source and \Include folders for 5-XE3 (minus 7-2005), so at least I can refer to them when needed, I just can't compile for them anymore.

I recently created a new repo and added every \Source folder

Nice!

but there are a number of file moves which makes version control history a bit difficult. 

Still, if you could get history working properly, that would make for a cool way to search for revisions between releases.

It's possible to have a separate VM for each RAD version and have them run, execute tests and shutdown automatically if there's a need for this. Of course this means more time, space and CPU usage but OTOH there won't be any isolation issues with overwritten env vars and other similar stuff. There are also portable RAD studio packs, not sure about their legality though but if they only work as launcher for original binaries you can use that launcher with your legal installation.