Jump to content
Lars Fosdal

git and Delphi tooling?

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Stefan Glienke said:

back then Fork was completely free and changed to a paid license later but those 50 bucks were very well spent.

Indeed! It was just today that I had to watch someone working with TortoiseGit, which definitely affirmed my choice of Fork.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

We are making the plunge from SVN to git (on GitHub) and would like some input. Note that although there are other forms of git hosting than GitHub, we don't have a choice in the matter, so recommendations of other forms of hosting are off topic.

GitHub just got a cool update : dark mode && discussions 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post

Another vote for Fork - I've been using it for a couple of years now (with my open source projects) - for in house projects we use mercurial with tortoisehg (since 2013). 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Vincent Parrett said:

for in house projects we use mercurial with tortoisehg (since 2013). 

We are using TortoiseHg, but I am finding problems with large file transfers. Extensive web searches have shown that the complaint has been around for years, and *may* be a Python/SSL issue. Or not. One of the few seemingly useful articles suggested disabling SSL 2.0. Did that, and initially, it was encouraging. But no, that was a fluke. Have you encountered this?

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Bill Meyer said:

We are using TortoiseHg, but I am finding problems with large file transfers. Extensive web searches have shown that the complaint has been around for years, and *may* be a Python/SSL issue. Or not. One of the few seemingly useful articles suggested disabling SSL 2.0. Did that, and initially, it was encouraging. But no, that was a fluke. Have you encountered this?

We use ssh from our dev machines (we're all working from home in Canberra) to the server (in Sydney, 300km away) over vpn's and have not had any issues with large files.  

 

We do have some issues with mercurial and filename encoding on windows as it doesn't fully handle unicode properly on windows - there has been a  frustrating lack of urgency to fix this, since the main devs don't use windows. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I see that nobody has commented on the IDE git integration, so I guess nobody is using that?

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

I see that nobody has commented on the IDE git integration, so I guess nobody is using that?

On my computer the IDE integration slows down the project manager a lot. It seems that the whole repository is scanned every time i right-click in the project manager to show the context menu, making it almost unusable. After i deactivated the integration the project manager was fast as before.

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

I see that nobody has commented on the IDE git integration, so I guess nobody is using that?

Hold your horses, i wouldn't suggest to conclude that from one forum users.

Embarcadero confirmed that it is following and targeting users wish's and needs, and you can see in the road map, one of the highlighted feature for 10.5 is "Multi-developers productivity, improving source control to.." so yes they must know that majority of RAD users is waiting for this ...... new wheel, and i will go ahead and say with confidence at 91.3% it will be circular one.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Vincent Parrett said:

We use ssh from our dev machines (we're all working from home in Canberra) to the server (in Sydney, 300km away) over vpn's and have not had any issues with large files.  

 

We do have some issues with mercurial and filename encoding on windows as it doesn't fully handle unicode properly on windows - there has been a  frustrating lack of urgency to fix this, since the main devs don't use windows. 

Interesting. It appears from my research that SSH is the key to this, but I also have read that SSH on Windows is a nightmare. Not being a networking guru, I am not altogether willing to engage in lengthy experiments which may simply prove to waste time.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Kas Ob. said:

Hold your horses, i wouldn't suggest to conclude that from one forum users.

Embarcadero confirmed that it is following and targeting users wish's and needs, and you can see in the road map, one of the highlighted feature for 10.5 is "Multi-developers productivity, improving source control to.." so yes they must know that majority of RAD users is waiting for this ...... new wheel, and i will go ahead and say with confidence at 91.3% it will be circular one.

 
 

Valid point on the conclusion - but after testing a little, the IDE git support is to put it mildly - kinda gimped.
If they can bring it up to the level you see in VS Code, it helps - but a proper UI or black belt in command line git still is needed.

 

We've spent today testing Fork and GitKraken and landed on GitKraken Pro due to the issue tracker integrations and built in GitFlow support - which really simplify doing proper branching for features, fixes and releases.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, Fork supports Git-Flow since V1.17 (2018) ...

 

I'm not familiar with the issue tracker integration of GitKraken, so I cannot say how it compares to that in Fork. 

Share this post


Link to post

@Uwe Raabe - The pro version of Kraken allows me to create and comment on issues in the tracker, being it Jira, GitHub, GitLab, etc.


image.thumb.png.dc91f1e1e485529bbc00936e9c04de98.png
We simply liked Kraken better than Fork - who knows - that may change over time. 

You can also create a feature, hotfix or release branch from the Issue, ensuring the commit will contain the issue reference.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

@Lars Fosdal We are currently using Atlassian's SourceTree but after the comments in this thread I may try Fork.

 

Kraken I discounted simply because the licensing is subscription only and without a perpertual license fall back.

That one is a biggy for me.

Have not renewed my Remobjects subscription for the very same reason.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

TortoiseGit. Never used RAD or VSCode integrated solutions. In RAD I added some useful actions as external tools (Pull, Commit, Log, git command line).

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/8/2020 at 10:12 AM, David Heffernan said:

Whilst I am a fan of TortoiseSVN, I am not a fan of TortoiseGit. Having a tortoise in the name isn't enough.

The difference between TortoiseHg and TortoiseGit makes me wonder what on earth the Tortoise folks could have been  thinking. But perhaps those who started with TortoiseSVN held similar thoughts on seeing TortoiseHg.

I am primed for change. I have lately been immersed in some serious issues in source control, and on searching for answers, found that some of these issues have had a longer life than many of the Delphi defects  which set our teeth on edge.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Bill Meyer said:

The difference between TortoiseHg and TortoiseGit makes me wonder what on earth the Tortoise folks could have been  thinking.

There is no Tortoise folk. That are two totally different tribes that just picked the same name.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

There is no Tortoise folk. That are two totally different tribes that just picked the same name.

Well, at least that makes some sense.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Ondrej Kelle said:

Recently, I also find GitLens extension for VS Code quite useful.

Me too. Do you know if it is possible to select a range of committs and inspect the difference between first and last for a file? I have not been able/had time to figure it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dany Marmur said:

Do you know if it is possible to select a range of committs and inspect the difference between first and last for a file?

I've found this way:

  1. In the Explorer view, open your working copy file
  2. In the File History view, right-click on the first commit in your range, select "Select for Compare".
  3. Still in the File History view, right-click on the last commit in your range, select "Compare with Selected"

 

gitlens-compare-selected.gif

Edited by Ondrej Kelle
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

@Ondrej Kelle, ooof!!! Too tired now, on it tomorrow. I think you deserve your buckle now anyways. !! 🙂 🙂 

Edited by Dany Marmur
xhanged "drunk" to "tired" for PC

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×