Henry Olive

Vcl to Fmx

I wish everyone a healthy day

I'm planning to start a Fmx database app. ( i already have a database Vcl app., i'll just convert it to Fmx)

I saw there are 2 grids (Grid,String Grid)  in Fmx, which one should i use instead of my vcl dbgrid ?

Also is there any advice information anywhere in web regarding from Vcl to Fmx ? 

Thank You

For converting VCL to FireMonkey, the only tool I know if is Mida Converter. Disclaimer: I have not used it myself, so don't know how well it works.

I don't use grids as often in mobile apps as I do in desktop apps, which is mostly what I use FireMonkey for so far, but I've had good success hooking up TGrid to datasets with LiveBindings.

Mida does most of the work but a lot of controls won't migrate. But at least you will have a pretty good skeleton which keeps most controls with their associated names and Events, but it's far from being perfect. If you VCL forms are very complex, I think you'd better off starting from fresh with an FMX clean form: that also could be a good opportunity to re-think your forms and GUI. That's where two screens come handy: VCL on the left, FMX on the right 🙂 

Now, for DBGrids, they don't exist in FMX so you should put a grid or stringgrid depending on what you display and then link it to data using LiveBindings.

On 7/25/2021 at 3:52 PM, Henry Olive said:

I saw there are 2 grids (Grid,String Grid)  in Fmx, which one should i use instead of my vcl dbgrid ? 

My preference goes to Grid rather than StringGrid, but I prefer a ListView 

22 hours ago, sjordi said:

If you VCL forms are very complex, I think you'd better off starting from fresh with an FMX clean form: that also could be a good opportunity to re-think your forms and GUI.

Agree sjordi, VCL components are poor if you compare. i.e a VCL app use Tpanel,  a FMX app will use Layout or TRectangle