Jump to content
Edwin Yip

ZipMaster 1.9x with my minor fixes

Recommended Posts

Well, I didn't exactly make this, but DelphiZip should be the most feature-rich open source zip component for Delphi, and since 2019 due to a health issue Russell Peters the previous maintainer has stop the maintenance.

I fixed several minor issues for the library, but there is no place to submit my changes now (even delphizip.org is down), so I created a github repository and welcome anyone to contribute:

https://github.com/edwinyzh/ZipMaster

Share this post


Link to post

It's unclear to me from the readme and help whether ZipMaster is a linkable Delphi component or a DLL with a Delphi interface. 

 

The documentation seem to assume you are familiar with the component and not migrating from something like VCLZip.   

 

Angus

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Angus Robertson said:

It's unclear to me from the readme and help whether ZipMaster is a linkable Delphi component or a DLL with a Delphi interface. 

 

The documentation seem to assume you are familiar with the component and not migrating from something like VCLZip.   

 

Angus


- TZipMaster has a full set of features for writing/reading zip archives, most of the logics are implemented in Delphi, but it relies on a 300+KB DLL for the underlying operations.
- TZipMaster supports both 64bit and 32bit Delphi compilers.
- TZipMaster supports Zip64 (for zip files larger than 4GB).
 

I edited the readme.md file

Share this post


Link to post

Completely offtopic.

 

On 3/29/2022 at 1:01 PM, Angus Robertson said:

[...] and not migrating from something like VCLZip.

 

I'm using an upped version of Delphi's TZipFile and always had enough of it's limitations so I went on and searched for VCLZip. Never seen a project this old before 😮

 

image.png.f0b93105e8ec00b0a97bf2881f422943.png

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

VLCZip was commercial software sold with Delphi source, last release was about 15 years ago, but I still use it in my applications.  It never became open source.  So really need to replace it, but adding a DLL to my projects is a non-starter. 

 

ZipMaster should ideally build the C code into a DCU so that it can be linked directly, but this would be needed for all compilers. I still use Delphi 2007 for some of my historic projects, too much work to update them. 

 

Or built to OBJ files like ZLIB that can just be inserted into a PAS unit?

 

Angus

 

Edited by Angus Robertson

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, aehimself said:

I'm using an upped version of Delphi's TZipFile and always had enough of it's limitations

I have only used it briefly here and there. What are the limitations you've run into?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, corneliusdavid said:

I have only used it briefly here and there. What are the limitations you've run into?

- Inability to remove a file from the archive

- Does not support ZIP64 and LZMA (which can be solved by Zip2)

- Inability to read data from "corrupted" archives, like 7-zip can

- If the ZIP file was created by C# (don't know which lib) TZipFile sometimes says that the archive is not corrupt, but there are no files in it. With 7-Zip I can see and extract the file without issues

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, aehimself said:

- Inability to remove a file from the archive

- Does not support ZIP64 and LZMA (which can be solved by Zip2)

- Inability to read data from "corrupted" archives, like 7-zip can

- If the ZIP file was created by C# (don't know which lib) TZipFile sometimes says that the archive is not corrupt, but there are no files in it. With 7-Zip I can see and extract the file without issues

You reported these on EMB's Jira?

 

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Tom F said:

You reported these on EMB's Jira?

No, as

1, TZipFile is clearly abandoned (ZIP64 was introduced over 20 years ago)

2, There is a workaround for most of these

3, I could not wait until Delphi 25 Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch when it will be officially fixed 🙂

 

Anyway. let's not hijack the topic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

There are some other zip implementations in my awesome list. I'm happy with FWZip, however I only needed very basic actions

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×