RaelB

Can one run delphi (32 bit) apps on Windows 11 ARM?

Hi,

I've been looking at this YT Video: "First look at Delphi 10.4.2 on Windows 11 ARM & macOS 12 ARM" (youtube watch?v=9p4cL1wt8bk) from which it sounds like Delphi apps are able to run on Windows 11 ARM. However, I have a user who says that my app does not start at all on Windows 11 ARM. Should it in fact be able to run?

Thanks

1 minute ago, RaelB said:

Should it in fact be able to run?

Yes. I'm running a Windows 11 ARM VM and Win32 and Win64 apps built with Delphi are running fine. Perhaps your app is not starting for some other reason?

Ok, thanks for the info. I will need to make further investigations.

6 hours ago, Dave Nottage said:

Yes. I'm running a Windows 11 ARM VM and Win32 and Win64 apps built with Delphi are running fine. Perhaps your app is not starting for some other reason?

Little off-topic: what is Your host system

32-bit and 64-bit Windows Apps Runs fine in Windows for ARM under Parallells on my MacBook Pro M1 (macOS Ventura 13.4.x)

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 8:17 PM, RaelB said:

Would you mind trying my app (RightNote), to see if it starts?

Crashes before anything at all is shown. This is from the event log:

Faulting application name: RightNote.exe, version: 6.1.1.0, time stamp: 0x645ac479
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x77945948
Faulting process id: 0x0x1598
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D9ADE7EB1F95C8
Faulting application path: C:\Utils\RightNote\RightNote.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 32f9e65a-e8cf-4ed5-8bf2-af8598ebae0c
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

According to this, it's a "fail fast" exception. I assume from your original post you're using Delphi 10.4?

On 6/29/2023 at 12:21 AM, RaelB said:

Hi,

I've been looking at this YT Video: "First look at Delphi 10.4.2 on Windows 11 ARM & macOS 12 ARM" (youtube watch?v=9p4cL1wt8bk) from which it sounds like Delphi apps are able to run on Windows 11 ARM. However, I have a user who says that my app does not start at all on Windows 11 ARM. Should it in fact be able to run?

Thanks

They work, but sometimes Windows 11 ARM / Intel interpreter have problems. It's more a Microsoft bug than other.
If you can try to compile your program with 11.3 Alexandria to check if the compiler does something different and perhaps Microsoft understand it better. But don't forget ARM/Intel converters are not a 100% success feature (except for Apple).

@Dave Nottage Thanks for trying that. Yes, I am using 10.4. I am using WinLicense to "protect" the exe, so my first suspect would be that.

Edited by RaelB

55 minutes ago, RaelB said:

@Dave Nottage Thanks for trying that. Yes, I am using 10.4. I am using WinLicense to "protect" the exe, so my first suspect would be that.

It shouldn't be the issue in general as they even have an option to optimize for Windows on ARM so they at least test on that platform. Still wouldn't hurt to try the application without protection to see if the error message is more helpful. The 0xc0000409 suggests a missing or corrupt library / resource / etc which can be something required by something you load making it harder to track down.

Optimize for Windows on ARM: The Windows on ARM emulation produces some penalties when emulating specific code or data accesses. This option produces a protection code that is emulated faster on Windows on ARM with just a small reduction in complexity in the protection code.

4 hours ago, RaelB said:

Thanks for trying that. Yes, I am using 10.4. I am using WinLicense to "protect" the exe, so my first suspect would be that.

Contact Rafael at WinLicense to see if he's aware of any problems like this.  We've used WinLicense since 2011 and are very happy with it although we haven't tried our app on an ARM platform.