Whitewater

Windows ARM support ?

You would need to be a sadomasochist to trust Microsoft until such a platform is well established. Windows RT was over a decade ago and those who got sucked into developing for it wasted time and money. Even worse would be anybody who developed for the various incompatible iterations of Windows Phone. Also no rush as the small number of such devices sold supporting the new "Windows on ARM" attempt are able to run Win32 applications (x86 with Windows 10 and x86/x64 with Windows 11). 

• Like 2

I absolutely love Win 11 for ARM on my MBP, but it does irk me that I cannot create native apps for ARM.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian Evans said:

You would need to be a sadomasochist to trust Microsoft until such a platform is well established. Windows RT was over a decade ago and those who got sucked into developing for it wasted time and money. Even worse would be anybody who developed for the various incompatible iterations of Windows Phone. Also no rush as the small number of such devices sold supporting the new "Windows on ARM" attempt are able to run Win32 applications (x86 with Windows 10 and x86/x64 with Windows 11). 

I globally agree but ARM is a real future of computers processors. Windows ARM is already used by a lot of us, in  VM, yes, but for daily use.

12 hours ago, Brian Evans said:

You would need to be a sadomasochist to trust Microsoft until such a platform is well established.

Indeed. I spent not an insignificant amount of time developing an application for Windows Phone which ended up being a complete waste.

That said, Windows on ARM is not just Microsoft's latest tone-deaf attempt to replace Win32. It is a legitimate compilation target for native code and Win32 API applications. As Intel continues to hemorrhage money and ARM continues to gain ground on the desktop (Mac) it seems unlikely that it will just fade away. Since Delphi is already shipping compilers for ARM it would seem to be a reasonable ask to let us build our Windows applications on ARM.

My experience dealing with how exception handling works on ARM tells me this is not a one-click solution, though. As nice as it would be to just point the build to ARM instead of x86-x64 I don't think it is going to be that easy. Giving us LLVM for Windows applications is the likely path but will cause some things to break.

Not that I am a compiler guy. I'm not. Who knows.

It would be nice to address Linux ARM because more and more IoT and robots are using these processors. It would really be nice to target those ones from RadStudio.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 10:46 PM, Brian Evans said:

You would need to be a sadomasochist to trust Microsoft until such a platform is well established. 

Hopefully, there are a few of them at Embarcadero and I salute them, sounds like no public plans to do it at the moment.