luciano_f

When will we have a 64-bit IDE version ?

I have a version 10.2 license and I have problems with low memory when compiling a large application. I tested version 11.3 and the problem is the same.

When will Embarcadero be ashamed and make a robust 64-Bit IDE? I'm already thinking seriously about Lazarus

I already made this post

Friends could also do the same thing, who knows, everyone asking for the same thing and giving could speed this up.

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-42372

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, luciano_f said:

If all users here on the forum voted

The voting system is to give priority to some issues over others. Priority may be different for all users here. It is counter productive to vote for an issue that has less priority to oneself, as that reduces the chance for issues you prioritize to be implemented.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, luciano_f said:

I have a version 10.2 license and I have problems with low memory when compiling a large application. I tested version 11.3 and the problem is the same.

When will Embarcadero be ashamed and make a robust 64-Bit IDE? I'm already thinking seriously about Lazarus

I already made this post

Friends could also do the same thing, who knows, everyone asking for the same thing and giving could speed this up.

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-42372

That issue basically just says "Give me a 64-bit version because I say so - or else". I would just close it if I were Embarcadero.

But I'm sure that migrating to Lazarus will ensure that you don't have to worry about memory limitations anymore. You will have a whole slew of other problems to keep you busy instead. Good luck with that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If I could guess, I would say, 64 bit IDE is not in their short term plans. BUT....
They have been working hard to "clean up" some features. ( Some still need some love)

All that work will payoff, and among other things, the availability of 64 bits ( I'm an optimist, shoot me!).

<SpyVsSpy> I'm almost certain some fellow developer is trying to compile "the project" :classic_ninja:  in 64 bits and hopefully the hints, warnings and errors are getting lower. </SpyVsSpy>

Edited by Clément

In the new Delphi roadmap there is a research area to replace the IDE code editor maybe that will bring us closer to 64 bit IDE.

In my opinion a 64 bit IDE would not solve the problems. I am from time to time working on a larger code base without a problem. A badly written pacakge can of course destroy the IDE.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lajos Juhász said:

A badly written pacakge can of course destroy the IDE.

Simply reinstalling a reworked package before compiling the program using it is a must!      

1 hour ago, Lajos Juhász said:

In the new Delphi roadmap there is a research area to replace the IDE code editor maybe that will bring us closer to 64 bit IDE.

In my opinion a 64 bit IDE would not solve the problems. I am from time to time working on a larger code base without a problem. A badly written pacakge can of course destroy the IDE.

Could you explain this better

I think a 64-bit IDE would help uncover some bugs by throwing more and earlier memory access exceptions leading to a better IDE all around. The 32bit IDE ends up with so much of the address space occupied on large projects that bad memory references are left to cause random problems at random times. 

Time to at least start work on a 64bit IDE.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Anders Melander said:

That issue basically just says "Give me a 64-bit version because I say so - or else". I would just close it if I were Embarcadero.

But I'm sure that migrating to Lazarus will ensure that you don't have to worry about memory limitations anymore. You will have a whole slew of other problems to keep you busy instead. Good luck with that.

My problem currently is that "Unigui" does not have a version for Lazarus, as it is already on the Roadmap and when this becomes a reality it is quite possible that I will migrate.

Because it doesn't make sense to have a 32-bit IDE in 2023 this is a shame

32 minutes ago, Vandrovnik said:

Just curious - please could you post a screen shot of the error message, when you encounter low memory in the IDE?

If you search here on the forum you will find several reports of problems with the IDE

And as already mentioned above, there are several problems that could possibly be solved with a 64-bit IDE.

Not to mention other problems such as connecting to a bank like Posgres in 64 Bits

Please, let's not stay here defending Embarcadero with a poor 32-Bit IDE. I'm not the Villain here, on the contrary, I love Delphi and that's why I created this Topic for us all to come together and vote for something better in the future, I don't see an IDE 64-Bit as something complex to create, just look at Lazarus which has a 32-Bit and 64-Bit IDE not only for Windows but for MacOS and Linux

I certianly hope they do not migrate the IDE to 64bit anytime soon - the 64bit compiler is no where near as good as the 32bit compiler (speed, code generation) - and switching to 32bit would switch around the debugging experience

32bit IDE
   32 bit debugging - not great
   64 bit debugging - awful

64bit IDE
   32 bit debugging - awful
   64 bit debugging - not great

Careful what you wish for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vincent Parrett said:

I certianly hope they do not migrate the IDE to 64bit anytime soon - the 64bit compiler is no where near as good as the 32bit compiler (speed, code generation) - and switching to 32bit would switch around the debugging experience

32bit IDE
   64 bit debugging - awful

64bit IDE
   32 bit debugging - awful

For the price charged by Delphi we can expect much more than just a 64-bit IDE

Don't think small.

7 minutes ago, luciano_f said:

For the price charged by Delphi we can expect much more than just a 64-bit IDE

Don't think small.

At least 128-bit IDE 😉

6 hours ago, Lajos Juhász said:

I would really like to see a list of problems that a 64 bit IDE could solve.

Indeed. Though it seems like we should have a 64-bit IDE only at this point in history, it is not clear what value it will bring, and we can know with near-certainty it is going to come with a lot of new bugs.

The Delphi IDE has been large-address aware for a long time now. Are there really still memory issues? Or are people just experiencing a symptom of other runaway problems?

Not saying I don't want 64-bit. I am just not optimistic I would even be able to use the first iteration of it....

Edited by Brandon Staggs

7 hours ago, Vincent Parrett said:

32bit IDE
   64 bit debugging - awful

64bit IDE
   32 bit debugging - awful

This seems extremely optimistic 

• Haha 2

As I already mentioned, there is no reason not to have a 64-bit IDE since the whole world is moving towards this, let's get to the Facts

Lazarus 64 Bit
Visual Studio 64 Bit

Android 64 Bit only
MacOs 64 Bit only

Who knows, maybe the day Microsoft says it will end support for Win32 will see Embarcadero in shame.