eivindbakkestuen

I'm on the Dark Side... no, really!

Kudos on the just released update for Delphi 12, much appreciated!

I have seen a previous reply from the dev that support for dark themes are not going to be done. Their choice of course, I understand.

Regardless, I'm throwing my vote in for a change eventually. 😄

Imagine that you're running Delphi in Dark mode... on a really good size monitor... (55" in this case)

It looks pretty good, except for the GExpert Grep results, which in contrast to the rest of the IDE, now tries to fry my retinas. LOL

Anyway... Seriously, if there's any way a volunteer could help with this... I'd put my hand up.

image.thumb.png.104d87694c7c282c8f267df1ea2c3835.png

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 7:10 AM, eivindbakkestuen said:

I have seen a previous reply from the dev that support for dark themes are not going to be done. Their choice of course, I understand

Since I am affected of eye floaters for some years, I now prefer the dark mode; and I am working on making GExperts look good in that dark mode. Most changes are already done but not published yet. There are so many dialogs/forms that have to be modifies in the one or other way. Stay tuned 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dark mode is much worse for the eyes. You should adjust the brightness and contrast to relax your pupils.

6 hours ago, Attila Kovacs said:

Dark mode is much worse for the eyes

There is no one size fits all answer; for some people light mode is best, for some, dark.

6 hours ago, Achim Kalwa said:

Stay tuned

With bated breath... 😄

• Like 2

I'd be happy to see dark mode for GExperts too - I'm a dark mode user. I also wish these forums had a dark mode!

Since the dark mode is a non trivial thing to do with Delphi without the pesky skins, I believe we should better not hold our breaths.

On 5/10/2024 at 5:46 PM, Sherlock said:

Since the dark mode is a non trivial thing to do with Delphi without the pesky skins

It is relatively trivial in the IDE. There are however some "gotchas" with some controls that are not automatically themed, or not themed well - TGroupBox being one of them.

On 5/10/2024 at 6:49 AM, Achim Kalwa said:

I am working on making GExperts look good in that dark mode

I've had a bit of a look into this myself. It would be relatively straightforward if it were not for the "gotchas" I mentioned above, and for the DpiScaler (part of GExperts) which seems to totally confuse theming of the title bars. Even with "disabling" the DpiScaler, the Grep Search (which is what I use most in GExperts) looks like this when themed (including title bar):

image.thumb.png.97c302f9e299195a24d625fc40a9077b.png

Note how the control to search for text is covered by the title bar, how horrid the TGroupBox controls look, etc. When I started theme support in Codex, I gave up on TGroupBox.

Same form when not theming the title bar:

image.thumb.png.3c3c6334c2cb080ba7754e3fb1383434.png

• Like 1

In rev 4252 there is a bug with the procedure list window on high dpi (possibly others? I did not test), it grows every time it's being opened.

Edit: Sorry, should have gone into this thread: 

Edited by Stefan Glienke